Barbel at Catterick

Bill Ling

Reaction score
Hi,

I've recently joined Ferryhill AC and they have a stretch of the Swale at Catterick which I'm interested in fishing for barbel. Does anybody have any information about the fishing on this stretch please?

Regards,

Bill

G

Geoff Cowen

I've fished the day ticket stretch at Catterick, I did see a couple of large Barbel in the shallows but had no luck. The racecourse stretch is I'm told a good Chub section but I don't no much about the Ferryhill water. Let me know how you get on. How many more days before we can go Barbeling?

Paul. Owens

Reaction score
Bill
I have fished the Leeds stretch a number of times and there are a few barbel to be had around there. Not sure where the Ferryhill bit is and it has been a number of years since I was last up there. Beautiful piece of water though.

Bill Ling

Reaction score
Geoff, I'll let you know how I get on. We never did have that day's fishing last summer. Unfortunately a family illness and death intervened and things have been difficult. If you're still interested I'd still be up for it.

Paul, the Ferryhill water is just below the Leeds water and runs doen to the RAF base I believe. There is an island in the middle of the stretch.

Bill

G

Geoff Cowen

Same story with me Bill, last year my wife was ill and I just don't know were the time disappeared to. I've been of work myself with a damage knee since December and have only managed a few trips out. Hope to be back to normal by the start of the season and will be in touch!

Bill Ling

Reaction score
Okay, Geoff. I've had a shoulder injury myself since last September. We're obviously a couple of crocks! :)

G

Geoff Cowen

I went from a 24 hr session at Raker lakes at York Tuesday and I'm absolutely knackered. I had one fish of 17.5 lb a PB made it worth the effort. This was my first trip to Raker and found very good, all the people there were very friendly practically a group of three young lads who were very helpful. It makes such a nice change to go fishing and come away with a positive felling.

Bill Ling

Reaction score
Well done, Geoff.I tried Raker last April, but blanked like everybody else that day. I hear it can be a good water on its day and there are certainly some nice carp in there. Apparently it does get very busy at times though.