Line Twist

M

marlin smith

After suffering horrendous line twist with Shimano Gt 6010's for years a guy told me that the new bail arm rollers sort out the problem. On phoning Shimano service centre i was told the only cure was to stop the roller turning. Any thoughts please

C

Carp Angler

I thought the turning roller actually went some way to curing line twist???????

How bizaare ! ! ! ! ! ! !

1) Make sure your line is loaded correctly.
2) Slow down your retrieve.
3) Don't use double baits (propeller action)
4) Use twist doctors on a regular basis

That's about all I can offer.

D

David Will

If it helps since I started loading my reels by putting the spool of new line in a bucket of warm water when loading I have not suffered line twist.

C

Carp Angler

I forgot about that David.

Yes Wendy it really works.
New line in the bucket,
thread the line through the middle of the Yellow pages and then through the butt section of the rod and wind on the line.

M

Mike Parker

Line twist is inherant with fixed spool reels. Nothing you do will stop it! You can minimise it by doing exactly as Carp Angler says and thats it.

R

Rob Brownfield

The major cause of line twist with a baitrunner is the baitrunner facility. When a fish takes line under pressure direct of the spool when using free spool..it puts large amounts of twist in the line. On one particular day on Catch 22, a fresh spool of line was rendered useless in 24 hours due to fast, long runs when the fish took the bait.

A mate of mine usees the baitrunner for pike..allowing the fish to take many yards of line before stiking (i have tried to explain...but...). He ALLWAYS has trouble with line twist.

I use a small baitrunner for spinning with braid...no twist as such, but I never use the baitrunner bit.

C

Chris Bishop

One of the rollers on one of my BRs packed up a while back and it was a couple of hours before I noticed - result: Horrendous line twist, even with Fireline.

The roller definitely does help reduce twist, as long as it turns.

Problem is it eventually gets gummed up with mud, grit etc and starts sticking.

I didn't think the new rollers looked any better. In fact they've got a much narrower gap for the line to sit in, which could be a problem if you're into using 30lbs Fireline.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Spin Doctors are the thing to use, they are weights with a shaped wedge cut from both side causing the line to twist in reverse when it's brought through the water. After a few casts the line twist is reversed and even if you use a baitrunner have a few casts at the start of a session and the twist will be minimised on a run. As Mike says fixed spool reels are going to give you line twist all you can do is reduce it.

C

Carp Angler

Don't use spin dr's with the old ABU's or Mitchells where the bail arm rotates the opposite way (anti-clockwise when you look at it) as this will impart more twist than you already have.

C

Chris Bishop

When you load the line on do you put the spool on its side and make sure the line is coming off the spool in the same direction it's going onto the reel - ie clockwise or antic/w..?

C

Chris Bishop

There's a right side and a wrong side and it makes an enormous difference, honest.

C

Carp Angler

So I understand, but I've never been able to fathom which side is which.

Isn't it to load the line the same way it comes off of the spool?

Not sure what that means, but the bucket trick works for me.

C

Chris Bishop

Give the handle a couple of turns and look at the rotor on the reel. It either turns clockwise or anti-clockwise.

Most turn anti-clockwise (looking from the front...), so the line comes of the right way to catch it under your finger for casting (remember the old Mitchells where it came off the wrong way..?).

All you have to do is make sure it comes off the spool you're winding line off the same way. In actual fact this means it will come off the spool clockwise, but it'll look the same way looking down the rod.

Doing it this way minimises twist.

Try it the wrong way for a few turns, stop winding, slacken off slightly and you'll already see the twists.

W

Wendy Perry

I'm gonna try the bucket Rik sounds like a good idea to me coz i always end up with line to loose and twisted so i will use yellow pages trick as well
Cheers :eek:)

M

Mike Parker

Great way of having no line twist - no buckets ful of luke warm water, spin doctors,line coming off anticlockwise to rotation of the moon etc. etc., Use a centerpin!

C

Chris Bishop

Tried a centre pin once or twice, couldn't cope with it, too much messing about, couldn't cast where I wanted, scary as anything with a fish on the end, it's still in the shed somewhere.

Tried a multi a few times, still learning but can see me switching over to them for some boat fishing, lures etc.

Use a pole loads for bait catching - ask Ron Clay, he reckoned I was the dogs doo dahs on one.