Cammo

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Not got any cammo gear myself but I do try to wear grean when I'm stalking carp or spinning for pike, generally I pleasure fish match style on a box so don't bother to much with the colour of clothing.
But do any of you lot think that cammo gives anglers an edge or is it just a fashion statement, a trend set by some TV anglers and followed by those who think that they can't go fishing unless they have all the correct branded gear?

njb51

Reaction score
Camo gear is meant to be used for stalking fish and trying to blend in with the back ground so as not to stand out and spook them. Which is why many anglers wear green, which is camouflage, just not as most people think.

Nowadays, people buy it as a fashion statement. It doesn't really make a difference to me what other people wear, so long as they are not disturbing me or my swim and therefore spooking the fish i am after.

Joskin

Reaction score
Only fishing related use I have found for cammo is for shooting cormorants.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Wearing camouflage for fishing, especially real tree or real Manc graffiti is going over the top.

I do like to wear subdued colours when I go fishing however.

Olive green, browns and tweeds are excellent, as are dark Tattershall shirts and my own regimental tie what?

M

Mark Hodson

Very helpfull for hiding from bailifs or abusive barbel anglers. Oh and looking like a potential serial killer or gun nut when you pull up at the local store on the way back from fishing.

T

The Monk

Incredibly good for the old street cred, how can you expect to catch fish without looking like Rambo

on a bad day

L

Laurie Harper

As long as it blends with the background, I suppose it might help. Camo' gear tends to always be dark coloured. I reckon wearing it in snowy conditions or bright sun is worse than nothing at all.

Waveney One

Reaction score
Much more important than cammo is keeping off the skyline and keeping movement to a minimum. If you can fish with a tree or bushes behind you and you avoid white T shirts you should be OK. Ever seen a camouflaged heron? Most that I see are a light grey and fish swim right up to their legs.

I sometimes see camo boats on the Broads with pikers in them. I'm sure that one day a cruiser will run them down and have a good excuse, saying they couldn't see them. They probably even camo the bottoms :), but forget to do their faces and hands. I think that as half the carpers are on pot, booze or something stronger, they really think it works :) As for camo buckets, buzzers etc, just don't lay them down in grass :)

J

Jeff Woodhouse

Ok by me what they wear or what colour their bivvies are, but what advantage is there in buying a bed or sleeping bag in camo. Camo alarms yet a bright shiny stainless steel rod pod? Worse still a set of Fox Camo Digital scales especially when they cost ?14 or so more?

Now that is getting silly!

Joskin

Reaction score
Crazy aint it.
People pay alot more for there kit to be in camo colours yet there is no advantage other than people think it looks good.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I'm not an authority on what fish can and can't see but instinct tells me that movement and noise like footfalls that cause vibration rather than colour is the thing that is most likely to spook fish. White is supposed to be the nearest thing to invisibility when viewed from under the water so why do people say don't wear white. Even more surprising if this is the case, Richard Walker believed it was as well by the way, is why wear dark clothing or worse still pay a premium for camouflage gear.

If you think colour is what frightens fish explain how fish hide under trees rather than spook away from them.

F

Frothey

i buy it cos the ex-army goretex is loads cheaper than the retail stff....and the combats last longer than jeans and have more pockets. draw the line at hat, t-shirt, watch strap, thong, etc though.....

R

They've got Camo Delkims now. Can't understand why.

F

Frothey

you're thinking of the solartronics ALM arent you? fox also do an mx in camo....ltd edition, dont'ya know...

R

Graham. I too think that white is the best colour to wear in a boat on a large water.

R

That must be an interesting kettle mate, I've got a kelly kettle.

Makes a nice brew.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
You may not believe this but its true I swear it, I bought 50 CD R's from 7dayshop.com, the top 10 were blue and silver and underneath those were -

CAMO pattern discs, Honest to god!

Can't wait to see whats under this ten!

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Went the opposite way with some of my roving gear last year, painting my catapults and rod rests with white gloss so I don't leave them behind in the dusk.