Shimano Bigpit, Longcast ?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score

mol

Reaction score
Shimmy longcasts are built like tanks and have looks to match. They're a workhorse of a reel that'll never let you down as there pretty much indestructible.

Personally I'm not a fan, there heavy and more importantly for me incredibly bulky. I much prefer the more modern range of shimmy big pits as they still have the same distance casting capability as the longcast but in a lighter and less bulky package with a bit more refinement.

dadondo

Reaction score
Hi Cat i have three used them for about ten years and still going strong , great for casting or boating out yes i agree with one of the posts that they are big and bulky but if you fish with your rods on a rest then theres no issue great clutch even better baitrunner system i would not be with out them cheers.

cg74

Reaction score
Hi Cat i have three used them for about ten years and still going strong , great for casting or boating out yes i agree with one of the posts that they are big and bulky but if you fish with your rods on a rest then theres no issue great clutch even better baitrunner system i would not be with out them cheers.

On the whole I agree, except like all Shimano's the clutch IMO is fairly notchy though.

With a full spool they retrieve 125cm of line per turn of the reel handle, downside of that being a weighty one; about 800grams or 1lb12oz to be a bit more precise.

Another good point being, there rate of depreciation is minimal.

Catfishingham

Reaction score
Thanks All for the replies.:)
Consern is for ordering over seas, sight unseen, high shipping,
etc.. Want to get it right, not have to reorder because not
satisfied, you know what I meen! Hard buying tackle over here.
May go a little smaller in size on Shimano. Decisions, Decisons!

Again, Thanks for replies,
Cat