waggling

Beecy

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to the follow ons from this Mark.

I've promised myself I am going to fish the waggler (and stick) as much as i can next season as I have become too much of a pole addict.

I used to rate myself as a fairly competent waggler man but no doubt you will remind me of some of the finer points I have probably forgotten.

Would it be too much to ask for you to include a bit on the slider?

M

Mark Hodson

Beccy

No probs, I probably do a separate piece on the slider as its an "art" in itself and just tagging it onto part two of this article wouldn't do it justice.

Tom (Bream Machine)

Reaction score
Me and my mate are concentrating on fishin the Slider this coming season on a large gravel......for Bream. A good change to get away from poles and the tip. Totally agree it's an "art" in it's own right....looking forward to your article !

Tom (Bream Machine)

Reaction score
Just to add.......I've recently bought the Maver bodied wagglers for Slider fishing...so far, they are very very good, shotting up to 6 swan. They sure fly well, even the eye was small, but i found very small clip swivels incorporating a PTFE runner to be better, a bit pricey , but excellent for this style.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Nice to see you pointed out that its fishing at the exreme end of the feeding range Mark. Its a mistake I often see anglers making when fishing a waggler float either on a pool or even a wide river like the Severn, sure, they can cast a waggler the required distance but they can't reach swim they are trotting with the loose feed.

"I wish I could get the feed over there I'm sure I'd catch more" they say but its too far or the wind is too strong to allow this. There are ways round this such as sticky mag but if they havn't got the knowledge to employ a suitable method of feeding they would be far better employed fishing nearer where they can reach. The distance you fish is dictated by the distance you can feed, an important point some anglers miss.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

A brilliant article Mark, I am looking forward to reading the follow up articles.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Looking forward to further atricles- The waggler is my favourite method but I tend to fish close in due to difficulty is hitting bites, hope this series will solve this

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting article Mark.

'Wag and Mag' used to be a favourite method for me in river matches, and as Graham so rightly says; only fish as far out as you can (effectively) feed.

As to Sticky-mag Graham, you wouldn't believe the absolute mess that some anglers can make of trying to use it ;-)

N

NottmDon

If youre going to fish the slider see if you can get a copy of the master at work..Ian Heaps slider fishing on the MGM label no less,brilliant video well worth watching.

Poleitis has a lot to answer for lol fished the wag at back end of the season,I'd forgotten just how much I enjoyed it.

matt

Reaction score
Mark it would be great if you could include something on catching on the drop particularly shotting or shotless? patterns for this.

M

Mark Hodson

Matt

On the drop fishing is included in part 2

Nicky

Mag is short for maggot

G

Ged

Hi Matt, awaiting part 2.
I also have a set of Drennan insert wagglers, also have a set of Middy insert as well. Just as good.
Had a lot of success on the lift method whilst waggler fishing, especially for the bream.

nicky

Reaction score
maybe i should of said sticky mag,is it something you can add to cast them further

N

NottmDon

yeah theres a product called stickymag that allows you to ball up maggots and fire them via a catapult. Actually horlicks works just as well beleive it or not.

Beecy

Reaction score
I remember reading that icing sugar also works Don, never tried it though.

I only ever tried sticky-mag once, after England won the world champs in italy using it , what a nightmare, I ended up with a rock solid 2 pint lump of magots in my tray, maggots stuck to all my tackle, rod stuck to my hand and line stuck to the rod !

Perhaps I should'nt have tried using it on a rainy day ?

Tom (Bream Machine)

Reaction score
I still use Horlicks, a fraction of the price of stickymag, especially as the Mrs has a big jar of the stuff she likes as her nitetime drink.

Talking of Waggler methods....does anyone apart from me, still enjoy float legering on those very windy days as a good alternative to the feeder?

Beecy

Reaction score
I do a bit of float legering Tom on my local lake when after the carp (Ive not yet joined the bite alarm/bivvy/bolt rig brigade)

I use an unshotted float fixed with a rubber and a 2swan sliding link ledger and big lump of meat

lovely way of fishing when you fancy a lazy couple of hours on a nice summer morning