carp vision

• Thread starter christian tyroll
  • Start date
C

christian tyroll

hi all i just read something quite interesting in southern angler today...

new research has revealed that carp have and can see in ultravilot and infrared spectra- meaning they can see thumb prints on baits and rigs!

fish recognize contrasts so it says baits will work better if tey stand out on what there presented on (why fluro pop ups are so succesful?) !

because they can see in a ultra vilot spectram , we now know carp can see flurocarbon lines which we previously thought invisable to the fish underwater!!

thought it might be of interest!

S

Spoddy Dave

Love to know how they find these things out.
But very interesting christian.

C

christian tyroll

apparently Dr Jones spends all his time studying fish-feeding behaviour and how its influenced by what fish smell, see and hear so he can help develop more effective baits!! he apparently also has a book book explaining all this but it doesnt say what its called or where to get it!

njb51

Reaction score
how will this influence the way you fish?

what will you now do differently?

F

Frothey

but surely the bait/rig/fish/whatever are the same temperature as the water...

"we now know carp can see flourocarbon" - do we?

like to who carried out the tests...

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Who said they can't see flourocarbon?

B

Exactly.
So how can they claim it is invisible to fish?

B

Flourocrbon is advertised as having the same refractory properties as water.

B

Bob Watson

I thought it was advertised as having similar refractive properties as water Baz. Trading standards can be a bit of a minefield.

F

Frothey

but when a carp (as we're on the carp forum) moves over the bait, can it see the bait anyway?

fishing a short hooklink, can it see any of the rig?

B

Bob Watson

Interesting post Christian.

Meaning they can see thumb prints on baits and rigs!

Do you think even if they could see a fingerprint that they'd know what it was. I can't bring myself to accredit a Carp or any other fish for that matter with enough "intelligence" for that to make me wear gloves whilst baiting or tackling up.

C

christian tyroll

im not claiming what i posted on flurocarbon is right, my flurocarbon spool doesnt claim to be invisable to fish it just says '100% pure flurocarbon with the same light reflective properties as water' do some claim to be invisable to fish or do we just presume this?
thats an interesting thought Bob, the fish
arnt exactly going to think 'aaa a finger print il leave that one alone' or they would do the same with hooks...

F

Frothey

but if its the "heat print" they see, wearing gloves wouldnt help....and like i say, it would fairly quickly become the same temperature as the water......