Salmon fly outfit Modest prices

D

david bruce 1

Ok I know there has probably been many threads like this already but I couldn't find them.
I have been fortunate in being offered to join a party for a week in May on the N Esk.
I now need to buy a 15 ft fly rod, reel the full tackle.
As it will be a once a year event at the most I don't want to spend a fortune. All advice welcome

S

Shrek

David,

Shakespeare Oracle IV are getting very good reviews at the moment. 15' 4 piece #10 rod that has a progressive action, just what you need when you're starting out.

You can pick them up on Ebay for a good price, or failing that, www.johnnorris.co.uk currently have them on offer.

Personally, I have a Greys GRX 15' rod matched to a Rio Windcutter and it really is the DB's at present. Again, you can pick them up at a good price as they are "so last year". Harris Sportsmail had them at ?100 (which is where I got mine) but don't know how many they have left.

If at all possible, get to try the rod before you buy it.

Whereabouts in the UK are you?

D

david bruce 1

Adrian

I'm in Northwich Chshire. I have been looking at the GRX Harris have some 14' left at special price. I'm tempted to buy.

S

Shrek

They are progressive rod with a medium action. My casting instructor advised me to only use mine with a floating line as it won't handle anything more than that.

I like mine a lot and can overhead and spey cast well with it, especially now that I've found a line that works well too.

If you can, as with all game rods, try before you buy.

Tom Rigby 2

Reaction score
I notice the Diawa Wilderness 15ft came second in a T&S review this month. Fulling mill travel first. Fm is ?200 the wilderness can be got for ?140. beat ?500 + rods. My own rod is a forefather of a wilderness and cost ?35 second hand. can chuck 40 yards with it. So don't think you have to pay a lot. Invest in a good line.

Tom

Tom Rigby 2

Reaction score
pps get a rod that can handle a sunk line. You've got the welsh dee near to you and it had a fantastic back end run.

D

david bruce 1

Thanks Adrian and Tom. I think I'll go for the Wilderness as I will want to use a sinking line perhaps and one of the reviewers says'will surely cope with a full sinking line'.
Any suggestions on reel and lines?

D

david bruce 1

Tom
as I belong to PAAS with stretches of the Welsh Dee I'll give it a go back end. Thanks
seems the chub and barbel on the Dane may get a rest this year!

Tom Rigby 2

Reaction score
Dave,

Line choice is a more personal thing. I recently 'graduated' to using a relatively long belly 75ft spey line. After using DTs and home made shooting heads. I've found it a delight.

I made the change because there were a few spots that I need to cover on certain Severn pools that involve deep wading and a long cast. That meant shooting a lot of line with a SH. The longer bellied line allows me to shoot a lot less line and therefore makes life a lot easier when in up to my elbows.

Draw back with long bellied lines is the floaters don't turn over a polyleader too well. Choice of line depends on the water you intend to fish. I need quite a variety because of the nature of my favourite stretches. For instance there are pools on the Severn where I have to wade among the rocks on the edge of a deep channel with trees behind me. In those circumstances I have to use a shooting head as there is no room for a big D loop.
Horses for courses really.

I'm a cheapo where reels are concerned. Thing I worry about is low start up inertia on the drag not the price tag.