Spodding

njb51

Reaction score
I need some mainline for spodding. Any recommendations?

Also, a good shock leader.

Ta

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Most of my spodding is done when I'm bream fishing. Best leader I've found is "Fox tappered" This starts at 30lb (spod end) and finishes at 12lb at the main line end. I use 12lb Diawa sensor, along with a 2.75lb rod and "big pit reel". For my fishing this good for up to about 70/80 yrds. Hope this helps.

Malc Bason

Reaction score
Have a look at PowerPro, get it in a high enough Breaking strain and you don't need a shockleader!

njb51

Reaction score
What would be high enough?

I will be using the <a href"http://www.bristolangling.com/acatalog/Fox_15.html" target='_blank'>Fox TB1 Big Spod</a> full of a stodgy mix of particles and water, so will probably weigh around 10 - 12oz???

Malc Bason

Reaction score
Mine is 62lb. Very low diameter though! Good stuff!

I actually ordered 30lb BS, when it came, it was 30kilo. So, about 62lb(ish).

G

Geoff Cowen

The Fox TB1 Big Spod braid look very good but I would stick with mono with a tappered leader. You can go as low as 8lb breaking strain and the spood will go miles after all it's only for winding the spod back in.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
10-12 oz and how far are you planing to cast that Jonny.

A rule of thumb on the casting field and surf casting is 10Ib for every ounce you are casting plus 10Ib for safty. That would mean a 120-130Ib shock leader.

B

Big Rik

or go to Breakaway and only spend a tenner
Cannon

I could never get on with mine, just use a finger protector now.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Thanks for the uk link could not find one on google search as i could not remember the name of it.

I always use finger protector. We got one from the local tackle shop for a lass that comes see fishing with us. She was always releasing to early becuse of the pull on her finger.

F

Frothey

20lb powerpro to 65lb daiwa tapered leader (bright orange sea fishing ones....cheaper!)

i know some dont like the potential of the lower b/s snapping againt the clip, but never had a problem.....

B

Big Rik

had 30lb PP on my spod rod for years, until I changed to 50lb last year (I think), never had a problem with the 30, just had a spool of 50 spare, so used that.

My finger protector is the finger off Marigold gloves, can't get the hang of leather stools, as I find them too insensitive and you don't get to 'feel' when it's right to release.

(steps back and waits for 37 different inuendos)

R

Robert Woods 1

Rik,
Cheap as well...ten for the price of one finger stall. I find yellow ones are better.

njb51

Reaction score
Cheers guys - looks like powerpro will be the way to go, with a strong shock leader.

thanks

B

Big Rik

Depends on the rod, but most big spod rods have a completely different action to carp rods.
Carp rods tend to be quite tippy and the casting action is finished with a punch/pull.
Spodding tends to need more of a progressive build up, very similar to casting method feeders and bags, so you don't tend to put as much stress on the leader as with a big wind up cast.

Accuracy is more important, no point in spodding to 120 yds if it's all over the place like mad womans pee.