Goldfish

David Naylor 3

Reaction score
This isn't really a fishing related question but I wonder if anyone can answer this?

The goldfish that were in my garden pond had babies. Some of the off spring are now quite large but some have turned Orange like their parents and some are still a browny colour.

I thought that maybe the fish would turn Orange once they had matured but it's the biggest fish that still haven't turned yet and they are all of a similar age.

At what stage do the goldfish actually turn Orange/Gold? Or do some fish stay a dark colour all their life?

B

Big Swordsy... Satans little helper:O)

its quite normal some never change

the one's that do change in time often turn white.

I think the gene that controls colouration is very unstable giving out lots of variations.

Do not worry, if your fish breed they are happy

J

jason fisher

lees right, the only reason that you see lots of Gold fish is the chinese breeders kill all the ones which don't begin to turn after about 12 months.

P

Phil Heaton

Can I have the ones you are not happy with next winter for live baits......seriously though by taking the better coloured ones and letting them breed away from the others you will develop a 'new' strain. Lots of people do this as a hobby and take their fish to shows around the country.

D

Danny Lancaster

Is it just me or does anyone find the Brown ones more interesting than the Orange ones??