Canal advice...

Andyw

Reaction score
Hey all...

Not been on for a while... But after a bleak winter on the canal I thought I'd get into the habit of picking a few experienced brains again!!

Well, I popped up there (GU Canal in MK) for a few hours... Blanked...

Boat traffic is warming up now... I was fishing single corn on a size 18 hook over Frenzied hemp... switching to a worm now and then... The worm has been my bait of choice over the winter, with varying sucess.

How should I be adapting to the changing conditions at the moment? Have i started to loose feed too much too soon? Am i being over ambitious for this time of year?

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

thanks

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Andy.
personally I would have been fishing smaller baits like squatts and maggots plus worm on the canal where I live, the Bridgewater through the winter months. It is only now that things a getting slightly warmer about 56 degrees water temperature today that I would think of useing sweetcorn. I would also tend to use only a little groundbait of high attraction with little food content at this moment in time. And I would still be on the smaller baits for the time being.

Andyw

Reaction score
Thanks Baz..

I had a few nibbles.. Looking back I probably did get a bit over excited and overdid the loosefeed... Oh well a lesson learned...

I'm lucky in so much as I live so close to the canal I get to go many times a week... Finishing at 3pm on an early shift means I can pop up there for a few hours (wife allowing!)

Thanks again and roll on the nice warm weather!!

Andyw

Reaction score
.... I've had a few more sessions now things are warming up a bit....

Found the meat and corn are starting to score the bream on later sessions and overnighters...

As usual the maggots are perch and roach heaven!!!

My question is this... Should i be loose feeding several swims on my short bit of canal i fish?? Or concentrating on just a single area? How big is a "swim"?...

I usually leave my carp rod out with a simple leger rig with some hair rigged meat about 2/3 the way across the canal... then i tend to waggler fish some corn closer in...

As the boat traffic slows things tend to improve as the night goes on....

It usually goes quiet after i land a fish... How do I play a bream better? Without scaring the rest off... I tend to on get 2,3 or fish in an all night session??

Sorry, 1 question leads to another!!!

Any advice as usual is very much appreciated!!!