Camera Freeze Up

J

john conway

Several times this winter just gone, although it's still hanging in up here in the Yorkshire Dales, I've had trouble with my digital camera not working when the temp dropped to zero or below. I've now got to stuff it down my jumper to ensure it works in freezing weather. I know it's to do with batteries not liking the cold, but has anyone else had this problem?
BTW I've got a FinePix 4800Z

B

Bob Watson

Had similar with the finepix 6800 zoom John. I now keep the battery in my trouser pocket, near my, er ahem! Stick the battery in for a shot, seems to have sorted it, I think it is the battery getting cold.

G

Ged

Hi John, it's not the camera but the batteries.
Both recgargable and alkaline are bad for this. The best are lithium if your camera will take them, they are also more expensive.
Some cameras have a power saurse attatchment, ie, the batteries fit into an holder that you can keep in your pocket and a lead attatches it to the camera.

S

Sean Meeghan

Yes guys you're right. Lithium Ion batteriers are not good in the cold and they're just not putting out enough juice to power the moters in the camera. You'll find the batteries in your mobile don't last long in cold weather either.

S

Sean Meeghan

Sorry about the spelling my batteries aren't working in this cold weather!

C

Chris Bishop

I've had cameras just literaly refuse to work in cold weather, both film and digital ones. The only thing you can do is have the battery/camera in a pocket or something.

G

Gary Knowles

John,

I have the Canon G6 and I'm sure I've been in similar freeze ups as yourself! Befre that a Canon SLR.

Not had any problems with either. Maybe its a Canon thing...

Morespiders

Reaction score
I dont have any problems at all with it and ive got a Canon. Dont go fishing when its cold John and you wont have anymore problems either.

C

Chris Bishop

I've even found Nikon SLR cameras a bit iffy in the cold, but mine are well past in and knackered anyway.

C

Christian Tyroll

hi,
ive found this alot on my finpix s3000, but like most of you i think its the batteries!

J

john conway

I've had cameras freeze up before in the mountains but then it was very cold.
I'm not surprised that different makes behave differently. I'll just have to keep the camera next to my body. Not that difficult really, it's only twice the size of a packet of fags.
BTW I've also had problems with my digital scales in cold weather, in the end I dumped them and went back to a spring balance. Also zero to 50Kg was too wide a range on the digitals.

T

The Monk

Yes same problem here John Nikon D100 and as you know I do a lot of Hillwaking, I simply carry a spare battery in my pockets