Bread Punches.

Tony Fisher

Reaction score
Hi all,i bought some bread punches off e-bay last week and on recieving them i was surprised how small they are,the biggest one punches a piece about the size of an asprin?
Before i had them i would usually mould a piece around the hook about the size of a small revel(choccy),soz couldn't think of owt else :)

Face

Reaction score
Hi Tony. Punched bread is an excellent bait (especially on canals) for fish like Roach. You will obviously need to use small hooks, sizes 22-18 are my choice. The pellet of bread on the hook will expand slightly as it absorbs water. Loose feed with a crumb based ground bait or mashed bread. Hope this helps.

B

Bob Watson

For bigger bread punch baits I use the drennan punch, about 6 different sizes suiting hooks from a 20 up to an 8.

Tony Fisher

Reaction score
Oh yes they do the job.
Decided to have a few hours today.
It was very pleasant as i started but soon became a downpour,just as the rain eased i had 2 bream within 10 minutes,a couple of knocks and a couple of missed bites.The two i caught were about 1.5lb the second was around 3lb.
I was putting bread on manually to no avail but the bites came as soon as i punched the bread,Throwing small pieces around the float.
Nice start to the season for me,the 3lb bream is my personel best(been fishing 12 months),nice confidence builder today,i can go to sleep happy.

Tony Fisher

Reaction score
Forgot to mention they put up very little fight at all,is this usual for bream.

Face

Reaction score
Hi Tony, Glad you had a good day & enjoyed your fishing. Bream are not known for their fighting ability although they put up more of a fight in flowing water. You will get more of a fight from them on light tackle but using it is not always best, it depends on where you are fishing and what fish are in there.

Gnasher

Reaction score
In some waters the skimmers go ballistic literally. They come out of the water like a rocket to shake the hook. Its true bream don't fight much otherwise

C

Chris Bishop

Well done Tony, a PB always makes for a good day, however long you've been doing it.

If you have a root around, you'll probably find an article or two on here about bread punch fishing.

Dave Cooper wrote a really good series about mastering some of the basic methods a couple of seasons back, might be checking that out for a few tips.

If not, sure the regulars will be happy to give some advice.