Pole or Rod

New Kid

Reaction score
Which is more skillful to use, pole or rod.Is it easier to land a fish with a pole or rod?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

I wouldn't like to try and land an overwintered rainbow of 5 lbs that can run out 80 yards of backing in a few seconds on a pole.

S

Shrek

Rod as well.

You try casting to the same spot everytime 50 yards or so out. Takes more skill I reckon.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

How long is a piece of string ??

They both have their own skills and uses ....

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

Too many pro's and con's for both but it mainly boils down to what fish are you're after and where.
Tomorrow I'll be on a small lake fishing for roach, skimmers and crucians and I'll probably start by using a waggler but if I can get them in close I'll change to the pole.
It's a case of horses for courses.

Beecy

Reaction score
difficult question to answer as it depends on the degree of competancy we are looking at.

What i meen by that is, anyone can pick up a pole and fish short range with litle or no tuition and catch.But to fish rod and line efectively will take a bit more practice/tuition.

But when you see how some of the top guys whiz 13+ meters of pole in and out with ease and grace and then try it yourself you realise theres a lot more to it.

What I would say, in my opinion, is that the best pole anglers have probably mastered the rod and line well before they picked a pole up.

I often see youngsters fishing who only own a pole, fair enough, at least they are fishing and enjoying the sport. But when my lad is old enough to fish (thats if he wants to!), I will make sure i teach him the basics of rod and line fishing before I let him near a pole.

As for landing fish, it depends on the size of fish. What I will say though is I reckon you loose a lot less small fish on the pole, elastic is wonderful stuff that reacts and cushions a lot better than a rod can.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

It must be the pole.
I know blokes that think they can handle three rods or more all in one go, so it can't be that skillfull. Can it??

P

Phil Heaton

I'll hang my head in shame and admit that i've converted to the pole for margin tench and crucians. Just the ability to lower a bait tight to a bed of lillies and know its on the deck, then having the knack of extracting a fish without being snagged up makes it worth while.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
The competency/skill of an angler has nothing to do with pole or rod, they are just the tools he employs to practice his art. If you have ever been lucky enough to witness top anglers at say the Evesham festival on the river Avon fishing poles at up to 16 metres and landing tiny roach or big barbel and rarely losing a fish then you will be witnessing skilful pole anglers. Those same anglers can also fish the stick or the waggler with equal skill and efficiency, or a feeder come to that.

The real skill comes in knowing which method to use in any given conditions.

Ron, were you aware that Shimano have tested the strength of their poles on Felindre and caught trout to over 29lbs on them?