LURE RODS & REELS

W

wyepike

Don't want to sound like a nod, but I have never used lures. However, I know I need to. And am starting this Spring! So, what I need is advice on what gear to buy. I need gear for fishing Chew and stillwaters from a boat, as well as gear for fishing rivers and drains from the bank and boat. Are we talking 2 sets of rods/reels or 1? I assume I will be using big jerkbaits and lures as well as smaller lures. I have the Dave Lumb catalogue, and have read the other previous thread on this subject. On reels I assume I will need a multiplier or 2? The lures themselves I will source from the usual places like DL, Nev Ficks shop, Veals etc.

C

Chris Bishop

Learn to use a multiplier is essential number one. One or two articles on here about it, ditto elsewhere like Dave Lumb's website.

For jerkbaits and bigger lures, it's essential.

ABU 6501 is a good reel to start off with, spool it up with mono and have an afternoon practising in a field or somewhere.

Then load it up with a good 60lbs-plus braid like Powerpro with a few turns of strong mono underneath.

There are loads of lure rods, team this up with something stiff like one of the budget jerkbait rods and you're sorted for bigger lures.

For rod two, I'd go for an old fashioned spinning rod you can use with a fixed spool reel loaded with 30 - 50lbs braid.

This will be just the ticket for chucking spoons, Rapalas etc about.

If you fish drains and rivers, it will also enable you to cast lures which are a nightmare with a multiplier, like Ondexes, smaller spinnerbaits etc.

One or two other things I'd get are a decent boat landing net with lure mesh, spare trebles, split rings etc, a sharpening stone to touch the hooks up and bolt croppers if you haven't already got them.

Lure fishing's seriously good fun. The best season I had at it was the first one, not for what I caught but for the enjoyment of trying to get my head around a new method and the real buzz when I nailed a fish.

L

levelspiker

good advice as usual chris.
a good starter jerkbait rod is the wychwood rogue at around ?30,or the fladen maxximus at ?40,a decent multiplier is essential,as chris says,go for the abu models,top quality,easily to service and with good availability of spares(if ever needed)
the rod that i use for spoons,spinners and medium sized crankbaits,is the normark gord burton thunderstick,coupled with an okuma epix pro ef40 loaded with 50lb braid (power pro is the best imo)
i`ve had no problems with my fox piker jerk,but i`ve heard that the reel fitting on the newer model is crap,ie,the reel doesn`t fit very well and wobbles.if i were in the market for a decent rod at a reasonable price,i`d go for the fladen maxximus jerkbait rod.
if money isn`t too tight,all the dave lumb range of rods are superb.
with regard to lures,i buy locally if available,if not,i use harris masterline or the friendly fisherman to buy online.
i ordered two lures from the friendly fisherman yesterday,today they arrived on my doorstep,hows that for service?!

W

wyepike

Thanks. I am ok with muiltipliers, just traded 2 6000s on eBay cos I want to get higher geared reels like the 6500s you mention. Although left hand wind multipliers are a struggle. Rods, thanks for advice. Will sort this out by end April.

L

levelspiker

martin,the 6500 abus are right hand wind,as opposed to the 6501s which are left hand.
the 6500 c4 model is higher speed than the c3.torbay angling center or devon angling centre do them for around ?76.not sure if they have a website,but they advertise in sea angler magazine.

Tony Cummings

Reaction score
Just started jerkbait fishing today on the tidal Trent; didn't catch but had a decent fish launch itself at my lure about three feet away from my wellys scared the living s*** out of me but what a buzz!!
Any way, I've been using floating lures but because the Fox solid traces are so heavy, they aren't floating. Any one suggest any floating jerkbaits that are effective and actually float when using heavy jerkbait tackle?
Also, I,ve been using Fox replicants; fabulous action but they sink like mad; are they suitable for the River Trent and how should I retrieve them?
My set up is Fox "Piker Jerk" 6' 6" rod, Shimano "Cardiff" 301 A multiplier, Powerplus 100lb braid and Fox solid leaders about 165lb breaking strain (about 10" long).
I'm looking for experienced jerkbaiters to go fishing with at the weekend; I've just bought a 15' fishing boat so should be able to get to access some decent swims. Any one who is interested can email me their contact details and I'll get back to you (I'm Sheffield based).

E

EC

Wyepike........Ed's got some good lure gear for sale!

How is your porta bote getting on?

keora

Reaction score
Wye pike, how much do you want to spend ? Do you really need two lure rods if you're just starting out.

If you only want one rod I'd buy a 9ft rod rated to about 1.5 ozs, match it with a medium size fixed spool which I'm sure you already have, buy 30lb Powerpro braid and off you go.

You could buy a short baitcasting rod and a multipier as well, for heavier lures and jerkbaits. Personally I don't like baitcasters at all ( too short, not very effective at casting compared to longer rods, poor at striking and playing fish), I could rabbit on for hours about their drawbacks. Other lure anglers probably won't agree, so I'll shut up.

I have found that multipliers (such as a Shimano Curado) are nice to use on a conventional spinning rod turned rings upwards, if that's any help to you

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

I tend to agree with you regarding short baitcasting rods Keith. They are really only effective from a boat.

For bank fishing a 8 to 9 foot rod with a pistol grip handle to take a small baitcasting reel is fine. And you will be surprised how light a lure you can throw with a small baitcasting reel. I spent years casting small jigs, slider worms and spinnerbaits for bass with such an outfit.

The two main advantages with the baitcasting reel (small multiplier) is accuracy and fish playing efficacy. Not only that but chucking lures all day with a fixed spool reel can skin your first finger.

And of course zero line twist.