FISH FINDERS

W

wyepike

Once I get my new boat I will need a fish finder. Ideally want one I can use on stillwaters and rivers. Most grateful for suggestions on models?

Richard Wilson 3

Reaction score
Wyepike,have a look on google,or get some books,failing that ask big Jim, i hear he is red hot on info with fishfinders!

W

wyepike

oooh, you are soooo naughty...i know the google bit obviously and will be assiduously doing my research before I buy inc from friends in the Bristol PAC BUT I am still interested in the options. I want one good for rivers really, whether that might be a different type from a stillwater one I dont know. I have also read all the books from people like Nige Williams, Steve Harper, J Watson etc et al.......

In fact on the John Watson point, ie Watto, is he still guiding and does anyone know his email or website address?

C

Chris Bishop

I fished all last winter without one and never missed it.

Joskin

Reaction score
Ive got one of these

Its the second one of these that I have had and im well impressed with it. I got it from WMJ marine in the states as it is so much cheaper. ?270 for a colour fishfinder and GPS.

Richard Wilson 3

Reaction score
I dont no if this helps you wyepike,but if the EAGLE CUDA 128 is any good then they are on sale at endtackle .com in their spring sale.There are 2 versions, 1 with water temp at ?100 instead of ?120 and the portable one is ?130 instead of ?150,there is a full read up on both models.I was just browsing when i noticed them.It reads they can be used in both fresh and salt waters.Peraps worth having a look?

W

wyepike

Well thanks to everyone for the advice. In the end I have bought a Garmin 340c fish finder with the freshwater dual beam option (optimised for freshwater). Watch this space...

captain carrott

Reaction score
now don't get me wrong on this but why not a smart cast you can still attach the transmitter to the boat and use it fixed plus you can use it in the conventional way.

W

wyepike

Not the same specs. Like any electronics you get what you pay for. I did my research widely inc what US anglers are using to catch pike/walleye/bass on shallow waters prior to buying and have got in this Garmin a freshwater optimised "wide beam" finder which also will connect to a Garmin GPS (which will be useful on Chew Res next winter). Anyway, its now arrived from the US, not tried it yet, but will do soon on a local river. If it does not work to help me locate fish (ie I catch nowt) then I can promise you it will be eBayed and I will look for a better one!

Joskin

Reaction score
I find mine much more usefull for feature finding etc than it is for finding fish.

captain carrott

Reaction score
fair enough, wyepike, wouldn't be without them on a boat in the ocean finder linked to gps and mapping ability. every skippers friend, but on a landlocked stillwater i really cannot fault my smartcast and believe me being a yorkshireman if there was something to complain about i would.

W

wyepike

Thanks, I appreciate the advice, but without getting into semantics about what I meant by the word "fish", what I did mean were features, sunken trees, drop-offs etc ie anything that could hold food fish, pike or be worth locating and fishing. Like I said watch this space. If it works out then it will be worth it. Beats fishing blind anyway.