korum maggot clips

J

Jim Crosskey 2

Hello all

I tried these out a couple of times recently, and had a couple of really good results. However, I've seen on a few post here about how the points aren't sharp enough and I have to agree! All the bites I've had on them have been within about 10 or 15 minutes of casting in - after that, the maggots are all dead (because the point has "burst" the maggot too much).

So, what I want to know is this: how do I sharpen the point? Please don't post a reply saying "exactly how you sharpen a hook point" because that's something I've never done! But I'd be willing to know/ learn....

Incidentally, I'm not really a carper (though the best results I've had on the clips are both carp!), but it seems like you lot have all the best tricks up your sleeves - or in your tackle boxes!

Thanks in advance

jim

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I use the Fox diamond file hook sharperner, but any decent file or oil stone will do the job.

C

christian tyroll

hi jim you can get hook sharpening stones and supposedly you use these but when i tried the matt black paint finish came off and the clip was then quite shiny. i would be interested to hear how others do it!

J

Jim Crosskey 2

Graham

That's great, but I'm not sure I know how it works! What I'm hoping someone can tell me is how I use the hook sharpener once I have it....

Appreciate the replies chaps, but more specifics please.

Will bear in mind the black marker pen - this I already have!

cheers

jim

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

As already said with a hook file, or alternativly, if you have the time or patience, tie a madussa rig as it will give better presentation. I had two tench on this rig this evening.

J

Jim Crosskey 2

thanks frothey - though judging from your picture, I'm not sure that's advice I should take!

J

Jim Crosskey 2

Baz

I understand how to do this (though I haven't done it yet) - how many maggots do you put on the rig? I've tended to go for between 7 and 10....

F

Frothey

judging by your pic, you like to watch yourself stroke the point....

agree with you there baz, much prefer threading them with needle and thread. upto 30 if i can be rrrsed!

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

This is where a quick change clip can come in handy. You can have another madussa tied up ready to go if you get a run on your first rig. I think I'd be more tempted to use a maggot clip in the summer if the fish were really haveing it.

chalky

Reaction score
now now ladies dont be naughty, about the korda clip sharpenit towards the point then finnish it of with a black [matt] marker pen [water proof lol].tight lines ....chalky.