what are the best carp hooks

uscarper

Reaction score
what hooks does everyone use and why, i live in the states so there are very little in carp specific tackle, i make do with gamakatsu octopus hooks, but with the rods i use i get some hooks straightened.i like the hooks but i hate losing fish. i am planning on getting some tackle.the rods i have now are
either to heavy or to to light.. and another question what rod and reels do you think are the best. my spots are either stream fishing very clear water and no long casts, to fishing murky water at state park this spot long casts are sometimes neededi use 10lb testin the steam and 20lb in the river since it can be snaggy in places.

mol

Reaction score
I use two hook patterns for most of my fishing.
If I'm fishing over gravel then I use an in turned point as it protects the sharp hook point from blunting on the gravel, I use Korda Widegapes. Over a softish bottom I like a straight point as I think they hook quicker. I use ESP big T's.

Rods and reels are very personally.

For fishing up to 100 yards it's hard to beat the shimano baitrunners. Long lasting tough little reels that do exactly what there supposed to, a carp fishing classic. I do favour a front drag so I'd be tempted by the baitrunner D. If you're fishing over 100 yards often or with thick lines alot, 15lb+, then a big pit reel is a good idea, there's nothing wrong with a beach casting reel most carp reels are just re-branded surf reels anyway. I like the shamino ultegra big pits.

I like a through action rod at close range, up to say 80 yards. They cushion everything, including the hook, and are easy to cast with and very accurate at shortish range.
The best all round action is a parabolic action. These rods tend to bend well through the top section and be little stiffer in the butt. They'll cast a good distance and aren't too bad at close range, a kind of comprise rod. Probably they most popular action in the UK.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I like the Owner hook range, used to be very cheap, but as more and more anglers started to use them they have doubled in price.

I dont use baitrunner reels, i just turn the clutch on the front of the reel, some reels now have the baitrunner set in the clutch, Diawa or Shimano reels.

As for rods, its a personal thing, but Free Spirit or Harrison would be my pick.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I like the Owner hook range, used to be very cheap, but as more and more anglers started to use them they have doubled in price.
Same here, but I thought they'd come down in price. I remember a mate of mine using them before I did and he was paying near £5 per ten. Last I bought were about £2.60 and the numbers varied dependant on size, but say 9 no 8s and 12 no 12s-- for example. Harrisons were marketting them

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I use Korda KURV SHANK B barbless )PTFE coated hooks for my carp fishing and they have never let me down even with double figure fish hooked at close range in tight spots....
I have used the same hook many times (tied using the knotless knot) as they stay sharp-cannot see any damage to the point under a magnifying glass which is just as well as they are damn expensive!
From memory they were recommended to me by a certain carp fisherman known as 'Cakey'............

Depending on what I'm after I use sizes 6/8/ and 10 with braid......

As to rods; As other have said they are a a very personal item (one mans meat is another mans poison!) but Drennan,in the main are reliable and do the job but I also use some old glass rods 30/40 years old(Bruce & Walker etc) and they still outshine some of the new stuff for build quality....

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Same here, but I thought they'd come down in price. I remember a mate of mine using them before I did and he was paying near £5 per ten. Last I bought were about £2.60 and the numbers varied dependant on size, but say 9 no 8s and 12 no 12s-- for example. Harrisons were marketting them

£5 for ten, they must have seen him coming, I got some last week £2.90, and getting my gear together for a trip in the morning and a packet in my hook wallet has the price of £1.60, for the same hook pattern, but good hooks.