info on old fishing tackle

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
i have been having a peep on google,trying to find some info on a couple of old rods i have.from time to time i enjoy using older items of tackle and often outfish people with with all the modern stuff....
i am after information about milbro fishing rods and lindop fishing rods.if i can find out what dates these companies manufactured their rods then i can seek out reels to use with them from the same period.
do any of fishing magics older,wiser anglers know anything of these companies or could someone point me in the right direction???

C

Chris Bishop

Milbro were still going in the 70s, think they made holdalls, seat boxes etc as well as rods.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Milbro was the short form for Millard Brothers. They were active in the 60 and 70s and were the main UK distributors for Mitchell Reels.

During the late 60s, Milbro made a range of lightweight ferruless glass fibre float fishing rods up to 15 feet long. I acquired one on a recommendation I recieved from **** Walker. Walker also used one of these rods to great effect for roach fishing on the Upper Ouse.

I've never heard the name - Lindop.

stikflote

Reaction score
the reels i used on a milbro rod was a intrepid black prince fixed spool there used to be a lot of those used in that period of time

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

The Milbro Enterprise 13'.....
That brings back memories--was one of my first rods coupled with a Mitchell 300

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
ron,the lindop rod is a "lindop rapide" does that ring any bells with you???

stikflote....the very first reel my dad purchased for me was an intrepid black prince and i used to use it with a sealy solid glass type rod which was a lovely white and blue in colour!!!

i will get the milbro rod out from my cuboard and take a look at what type it is but i`m sure its a "milbro trophy" and it has what looks like gold foil material whipped on around the rod rings.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

That's the one Ed. I had the 13 foot 4 piece Enterprise and the 15 foot 3 piece one too.

They were the best glass long float rods ever made. **** Walker copped many 5 lb chub with his 13 footer. He used it for trotting the Avon.

C

Chris Bishop

Bet that weighed a ton.. I had a Black Prince too when I was a lad. Think my old man's still got it somewhere.

E

Evan

Must confess to having started fishing life with an Intrepid Black Prince myself.... and fond memories of an old Milbro something or other, not very distinguished, very battered, very much a hand-me-down but helped start me on this hobby still going over 30 years later.

Changed it for a Mitchell 320 - only thing I have ever won in a match ! Still got it, and in good working nick. Care of Sudbury and District AA junior open in 1973. Something like 60 lads turned up for the off at Pecks Meadows. Fond memories. Never hear of a junior open anywhere these days...

Got to disagree with Ron on one thing tho, as I remember it in the mid - late 70's, immediately just before / as graphite and carbon etc were starting to be used in fly rods only the generally accepted best glass match rods of all were and remain the Bruce & Walker CTM range of compound taper match rods, CTM13, CTM13A and the super stiff CTM13AA. Legendary at the time and over ?40 from memory ! That was some price back then. Fantastic rods though. Still bloody good to fish with, although somewhat heavier than modern flyweights, to say the least !