River Mersey nr Parrs Wood

stuart clough

Reaction score
Does anyone know/fish this stretch, or Didsbury area? What species are likely to be present & which is the controlling club? Thanks in advance for any info.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Stuart I live near there and have fished it the odd time.

The fish are in pockets. There are Chub,Roach and Trout for sure, I've heard of Perch and Pike. Oh, and there are millions of Minnows.

If you go down Kingsway towards Cheadle: Look left and the river looks really inviting. Not many fish here though, I've just had the odd Trout. Look to the right though, downstream. Immediately below the bridge theres fast water on one side and a slack on the other. fishing the crease; I had thirty or so small Chub last summer, and a couple of Roach.

I've walked the bank as far for several miles and there definitely other spots that hold fish. I saw several Cormorants working the slow water a mile or so downstream. Northenden weir is reputed to be good, but snaggy.

As far as I know it's free fishing.

stuart clough

Reaction score
Thanks Rick - useful info. If there are trout the WQ should be OK, so I guess most species will be represented. I will be having a look around this area myself later on this year, so I'll let you know what I find out. Cheers.

P

Phil Hackett disability bad speller with Pride

Fished it a few years back and agree with Rik species wise but would add gudgeon, dace and ruff.

My advice is travel light with a stickfloat, rod bait apron and a few different float sizes.

Don?t take any good quality tackle, as there are one or two unsavoury characters that get on the Mersey valley. A good heavy priest would be a distinct advantage as well, for persuading the unwelcome! ;0)

stuart clough

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice chaps. Probably won't get round to having a go until autumn, but I'll let you know how I get on.

stuart clough

Reaction score
Heaton mersey update:

A pre-season pre-baiting campaign turned out to be a waste of time - a combination of workload and heavy rainfall conspired against me, and only 1 x 1.5 hour session (?) was achieved. I did however manage to catch 2 chub in that time, both around the 3lb mark.

I will persevere, and let you know. Any other Mersey info. gratefully received!

P

Phil Hackett The common Boastful Expert :-)

A result Stuart!
Much bigger than anything I had at the time I fished it.

I'll send you a PM re more info.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Stuart were you by any chance fishing just above the weir at Heaton Mersey; where the platform is? Reason I ask; I had a 3lb Chub from there myself, along with several Roach/ Chub hybrids.

Ado Rus

Reaction score
Hi, Not fished this part of Manchester yet but looking forward to trying few new lakes and rivers stretches next year.I am currently working on few projects to help improve the angling in Manchester and would love to get some feedback from you guys. Please email me at info@anytackle.co.uk and I will reply with a set of questions which should only take you few minutes to complete. In return you will help me research the market and help improve angling in Manchester.

stuart clough

Reaction score
Sorry Ric, only just spotted this. It was downstream of there, but not far away.Some of the lads have had some quite a bit bigger than that ;>), and although I have yet to see one on the bank, I did spot some barbel spawning in early July. Bodes well for the future.

glena91

Reaction score
advice

I have just moved over from ireland and im looking for some fishing around the stockport, manchester area. good chub venues and lakes for carp, tench and silver fish. thanks in advance for any replys.

Reaction score
Welcome Glena91,

Depends how far you want to travel. Main local club is Stockport Federation..who have some still waters and most of the rights on the River Goyt up to Otterspool.

Macclesfield Canal around Poynton
is free fishing and some quality fish as well as lots of bits.

There are small local clubs mainly with small reservoirs/ponds...like GOSJAC, Crown Anglers, County Anglers.

My advice would be to contact local tackle dealers;

Edgeley Sports - my local tackle dealers and I would recommend

Hazel Grove Angling - never used but friends have and equally highly recommended.

Norman's of Woodley - actually I think they are called something else these days but are based in Woodley Shopping precinct

Tacklesaver - Handforth..little further out but big!!

If you prepared to travel a bit further..

Bay Malton Angling Club

Warrington Anglers Association

are big local club with a wide range of waters in the North West and further..

and then there's the "big one"....Prince Albert Angling Club...c4,000 members and 100s of waters...BUT..a 4 year waiting list...suggest get your name down and then just wait.

This is from a south of Manchester perspective....colleagues living North of the city will hopefully add to the is list.

neil_146

Reaction score
Hi PoshPaul,

hope you don't mind me jumping in on this thread. I'm a long-exiled Romiley-ite and am always intriged to read about fishing around Stockport.
I used to fish with my Dad (50 years ago) mainly on the Peak Forest canal by Oakwood Mill Romiley and in the bottom pound at Marple locks. How is the Peak Forest canal fishing nowadays. Is it "free fishing" as I don't think its on the Stockport card.
My other favorite place from back then was the moat at Broadoak Farm behind Stockport Golf club, it used to have a fishing hut on the island, I used to think it an idyllic spot. Do you know whether it is still fished by anyone.
Fishing the Goyt was not possible back then, as nothing could live in it and generally it had a (foam) head on it better than any Guinness. You mentioned that the Goyt was on the Fed. card up to Otterspool, who controls the fishing around Brabyn's Park ?

regards
Neil_146

Reaction score
Hi Neil,

Some of this stuff I can't help wiht but i hope others will join in. The fed,gave up the Peak Forest canal from what I understand...can't tell you what its like..although guys I talk to on the macc. have said some good perch come out up the Whalley Bridge End. The Goyt now has grayling, trout, chub, barbel ...even the Tame is producing trout and chub and the odd barbel. I have had a chub to 3lbs out the mersey...again trout, gudgeon, pike and perch have been caught...barbel have been seen spawning although I've not heard of one caught.

Don't know Broad Oak Farm.

You're a bit like me...always love ot know how the Kent rivers are fishing..although it's too many years since i was living there.

Poshers