sorting out the big ones.....

Bob Bone 2

Reaction score
I have been out a few times recently and have a few great days sport quivering which is by far my favourite way to fish. I have been catching roach and skimmers different weights. Is there any way of targeting the bigger fish?. I found that a bunch of bronze maggots did the job but it was still hit and miss a tiny roach scoffed down 4 at once. I was thinking bread but it always seems to come off the hook and I'm never confident I am fishing with bait on with corn. Any suggestions,methods or baits that I could use to target quality silvers would be greatly apreciated.

Tony Fisher

Reaction score
You can get a set of bread punchers for under a fiver on e-bay,my first outing using the punch yesterday,none fell off,and i caught a pair of decent bream.
Have never really had a problem with sweetcorn falling off persistantly.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Bob.
You can also use a standard sized pen top for punching the bread out. This was one of my favourite methods on the canal for the bream on rod and line.
Cut the crust off a slice of white bread, and <u>slightly</u> roll it with a rolling pin or bottle.
A size 16 spade end hook goes into the punched bread nicely. Roll half a dozen little balls of bread about an eigth of an inch in diameter and flick them around your hook bait every half hour.

Or crush some trout pellet up and give it a whiz in the blender, and add an egg or two and a drop of scopex. I found it to be a great bream paste bait, but get ready for the carp to home in on it. Loose feed with micro trout pellet. And try a piece of sweetcorn on the hook now and again, over the bed of micro pellet. Just a small handfull will do the job.

Bob Bone 2

Reaction score
How about hair rigged punched bread would that do the job? I bought some size 16 hook hair rigs for corn fishing but I could use them for bread and meat as well.

Joskin

Reaction score
You should have no trouble keeping Corn on the hook but some brands do have a much softer skin than others. I find that the cheaper the tin of Corn the better for fishing it is.

C

Christian Tyroll

sainsburys basics sweetcorn, 19p i think it is, ive never had a problem with the stuff. im sure other supermarkets do a similar priced product!

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

You don't need to hair rig bread Bob.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
How about worms?

Caster/maggot and worm.

Single or double caster/maggot(red) and worm.

Maybe worth a try, it works for me.

If you fish punch bread have faith, strike at the smallest movement on the tip. I've had big bream (by my standards, 6lb) on it.

John Crosby

Reaction score
for bigger bream i'd suggest corn/breadflake or worm/breadflake cocktails
it has always worked for me also if your using corn i put the point of the hook through the top of the grain and pull the hook right through and turn the point so it sits nicely on the side disguising the hook very well
hope this helps john

Bob Bone 2

Reaction score
Caught on corn spiced up with some curry powder at the weekend. I was using maggots most of the day which got me a nice little carp and a few bits but the bites were few and far between untill I switched to corn. Never caught on corn untill I went fishing on a still water, gonna have to use it more often.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

If you are after class roach on still waters, I would suggest you leave your maggots and casters at home had fish with bread flake. Don't be scared to use big baits. I have caught many 2 lbs gravel pit roach on large wadges of flake on size 10 hooks.

If you can use float tackle and fish into the evening or at night. This is when the big roach get their heads down. Get a decent torch and shine it on your float. Roach are not scared by lights at all.

Other than that you can use a link leger with a betalight and bobbin on the line beween the butt and first rings. A electric alarm will tell you when you have a bite.