Fish Location pointers

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Over on the Predator section, Mark the Spark has posted a link to an article by Michael Roberts; a guide to pike-fishing on Loch Awe which is very generous in both specific and general information. Mr. Roberts is clearly not prone to secret squirrel syndrome.

(Then again, Loch Awe isn't a two-acre pond with a queue at the gates every morning. Some squirrels can be forgiven a certain tightness of lip...)

This leapt out at me: "I have found that pike dislike being in the centre of a small bay, except when basking in hot weather, but they frequently lie in ambush at either end... "

Most of my piking is done in coloured lakes where a pike would only know it was in a bay if it stuck its head out of the water for a look-see, but I shall "cut out and keep" this morsel just in case I ever get to a big, clear water... does this tie in with other pikers' experience?

And what are your favourite guidelines for locating other species?

One of mine is from John Wilson, but I can't find the original reference - that roach don't much like river swims where the flow keeps switching its line every few minutes - look for a flow that keeps a constant route.

Any offers?

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I think even in the most coloured water a pike would know where it was going by underwater landmarks. In the case of a small bay there would be a point at each end . I fish a very murky commercial sometimes and the carp seem to know where the snags are even if they are 10ft away from them.
I suppose the most obvious locations for many species is either in sunken features such as fallen trees or under overhanging bushes or trees.