Sleeping

S

Stephen Hastie

Hi Guys having tried doing an over nightfishing session I was wondering how you deal with a run in the middle of the night when you have got your little fat head down in your nice and warm sleeping bag in your little bivvy.

Do you sleep in your boots or do you have some sort of bivvy slippers. As I got wet feet when I had a run and found it hard to put my boots in the dark in a hurry.

hoping somebody can enlighten me

Steve Hastie

M

Malcolm Bason

Personally I keep my normal shoes/boots on and I don't sleep in a sleeping bag as such i just have it over me - makes it a lot easier and quicker. Those I fish with have bivvy slippers, but I'm not that much of a tart!! he he he he

P

Paul Williams

Steve,
No matter how many years you night fish you will never have that problem sussed mate!!.....thats why bivvy slippers and "crash out" bags are available, the rest of us can't make our mind up either!......but i used to know more about what was going on before all the comforts!

D

David Granger

i too keep my boots on and lie underneath the bag a tip is to stick an old blanket on the
bed to a keep the mud of the bed and stop the cold coming through from underneath in the winter

R

Rob Brownfield

Kevin Maddocks used to sleep next to his rods, nomotter what the weather. All he had to do was sit up and strike!

I do that in the summer, and in winter I have waterproof socks on..makes life easy!

S

Stephen Hastie

Thanks guys for all the information.
Rob where do you get those waterproof socks from they sound like a good idea.

Steve

D

David Will

Porelle Drysocks , excellent but pricey.Try the Tackle Box Kent.
I have a pair of rubber 'clogs'.You can get these in gardening shops , buy a couple of sizes bigger than you need. They slip on easily as long as you put them in the right place.

D

David Will

Feet is a good place !
What is required is a couple of practice goes.Lie on the bedchair and try to position your clogs or whatever in a position where when a run comes you can swing your legs out and your feet straight into the shoes. This can amuse you for hours.Like any sport though you can never be sure that your pre honed skills come good when the pressure is on :)

R

Rob Brownfield

Get the socks from a camping shop...bloody sightcheaper than from a tackle shop!!

Also, you can get heavy duty ones from motorcycle shops.

Goretex socks are available from camping and army surplus places

P

Paul Kendall

Or you could just do what most of us do - alarm screams, leap up, get tangled in your sleeping bag - can't find your boots, can't find your glasses, fall out of the bivvy with sleeping bag still tangled round your legs - hobble to your rods on your knees, through the goose shit / cow shit / sheep shit (you choose), flick the bait runner off, strike and lose the fish.

Enjoy.

D

David Will

Yeah much more fun and always give everyone else a giggle.In fact my brother did the very same at 4am last Sunday , how we laughed. Later that morning he also managed to lock his keys, mobile and wallet in his car upon packing up causing a 120 mile round trip by his wife with a spare set. On top of blanking for three days it will be little wonder if he never goes fishing again.Now had he rehearsed his middle of the night striking routine the day before ....

A

Andy Thatcher

After falling over a good number of times I have been using the sleeping bag over me approach rather than zipped up.

Still cold ? Use 2 !

Never have had the nerve to buy Bivvy Socks although friends swear by them and I can feel my determination not to buy them fading as each year passes.

C

Cakey

Just back from 7 days and 7 nights on waveney c lake.
I use 2 sleeping bags and I wear plastic sandals the ones with the grippy soles these can be washed and dried in seconds and back into bed ( with them on ).
In the winter I take several pairs of thermal socks and change into a dry pair if the pair Im wearing get wet.