Float Fishing vs Feeder Fishing

harristom85

Reaction score
Which do you find best, being a bit of a noob and coming back to fishing i feel fully confident i can catch some decent fish with the float method but as soon as i whip out the leger rod my mind goes blank and i completely lose faith in everything i'm doing.

which do you prefer?

mol

Reaction score
There's something simply fantastic about watching a float isn't there? It's a nicely involving way to fish.

I find the tip an easier way to fish and alot better at catching bigger fish, at least for me.

Robert Draper

Reaction score
On a nice-ish day I will go for a float every time, my idea of paradise is trotting a stick on the Trent with chub just queueing up to be caught. However, fishing a deep pit or in atrocious conditions I will either go for a straight forward bomb or a feeder and retreat to the back of the brolly where it is warm and dry. On slow sessions I will fish a whip and a feeder, the whip can be brought in instantly if there is a bite on the feeder.

In the end it's your free time, fish the way you enjoy :)

Red Army

Reaction score
Float all the way, pole float, stick float, waggler, lolli, bolo...you name it

michaels

Reaction score
It’s an interesting question, usually I would say float,trotting,waggler,stret pegging, then dependant on conditions dictating, feeder/quiver tip.
But as I consider the float to be more sensitive, I would use, where applicable or suitable, the Polaris or Locslide. If you know how to use them correctly, they can out perform the quiver tip and the usual feeder setup. Although you can use a feeder set up in conjunction with the Polaris/Locslide

Andrew Macfarlane

Reaction score
I pick methods depending on the species, venue etc.

That said, I've knackered my eyes watching floats. I'm hyper-sensitive to bright light, thought to be as a result of staring at glare, so make of that what you will.

I have filters now and little will stop me looking at floats bar blindness and vomit-inducing migraines. Thankfully the specs seem to have eradicated the headaches....for now.

harristom85

Reaction score
wow didn't expect this response, i never knew so many people float fished these days all i see at my local is either carp fisherman and pole people. i seem to be the only one fishing a waggler at the minute, but judging from the green looks i've been getting recently from "bagging up" on the waggler i should imagine many people with be out to use this method more. i thought i was using an outdated method what with all the rigs, feeders and buzz bars around these days.

A

alan whittington

Float,without a doubt mate,even though i spend most of my time on my chair on the lead/feeder,the float offers me so much scope when fishing for most species other than barbel(but even they succumb,many of them too).

quickcedo

Reaction score
Feeder/bomb every time for me unless I'm after fish off the top of course. Float fishing drives me nuts, probably because I suck at it!

A

alan whittington

Feeder/bomb every time for me unless I'm after fish off the top of course. Float fishing drives me nuts, probably because I suck at it!

Its that white stick that does it mate,lol.

A

alan whittington

No I need a good teacher. Know any one?

Not a good teacher,too bloody impatient,but i can help and have many people,many times,ive learnt many times though mate,nothing's written in stone,especially in fishing.;)

quickcedo

Reaction score
That doesn't read like a confident man's words.lol
Right you're on. The mission should you choose to accept is to catch a Barbel/Chub on the float.
This message will self destuct in 5 seconds

A

alan whittington

That doesn't read like a confident man's words.lol
Right you're on. The mission should you choose to accept is to catch a Barbel/Chub on the float.
This message will self destuct in 5 seconds

Watch it,you nearly took my eye out then,right im off for my dinner,before she sets fire to it,lol.

johnnyfby

Reaction score
Hauling trent barbel out on the float or on the ledger. Its a no brainer for me

Fishingdownthewindy

Reaction score
Bomb or feeder, I was taught by my eldest brother and he didn't bother with floats....since then I have continued this trend until I took my soon fishing and encouraged him to float fish and taught him with my limited experience.

The trouble is now he just wants to float fish all the time and hates Dad's "underwater fishing"