Other angling sites

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I know some on FM use other angling site's, I did for a while, one other, it was a private site invite only, but to be honest it went down hill as quick as it started, and i told them where to stick it.

FM had a hard time not that long ago, but it has come back, and we dont have all the old Cr*p that we had before.

This is the best site for me, is it for you ????

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Yes, a good site

In the main; yes. I tried one site ages ago, basically run by Nazi's. Wasn't allowed to say this , couldn't mention that. I told them so too. I think this site allows a lot of freedom and to say what you think. Its not perfect but, what is. I only use this this site and one other in the main; this site more and just one Irish one I joined recently but, that was because they showed an interest in a site that I am involved with.

noknot

Reaction score
To be honest, I miss you there Ray! As to other forums, yes I use the Carp ones the most, but enjoy FM as it has a good mix of threads, OK I'm a Carp angler, but have fished for many species in the past including Trout and Sea.

stikflote

Reaction score
RAY if you want an honest answer,then this is not the best fishing site
for me, M D, is the best for me then this one.

chav professor

Reaction score
This site is excellent and is far friendlier than I ever anticipated a forum based site to be. I would like to have been part of PurePiscator - forum is still live though....

FishingMagic is the tops!!!

Muffin

Reaction score
Not sure how subjective an answer you will get given where you are asking your question.

The site is well laid out and easy to use I agree, but its hardly as busy as it used to be or has as many great anglers posting for some reason.

Everyone has their own conclucison and some know the truth.

I have a quote that sums it up nicely:

To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail.

—Abraham Maslow

andy nellist

Reaction score
I stopped regularly posting on FM after the switch from magalica software because it was too slow and cumbersome to use and for a while I had real problems just logging in.

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
I found this site because my favourites, PP and MD, both looked like closing. Fortunately both kept going, though as has been observed in the case of PP, only the forum continues. There was supposed to be a replacement, but it seems not to have got far off the ground.

Sometimes this site and MD both seem so big it's hard to follow all that is going on, but I've had stacks of helpful advice from both and I find they are a real assest.

I do find this site very slow to load on my PC, inspite of its four processors and that can be a drag.

By the way......

Where's Mark Wintle got to??????

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I'm not goign to comment for obvious reasons but I want to ask Andy -

I stopped regularly posting on FM after the switch from magalica software because it was too slow and cumbersome to use and for a while I had real problems just logging in.

Is it any quicker and can you log in now?

(I am in automatically on this machine, but on my portable, I have to sign in each time, I don't mind that though as it keeps the portable safe.)

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Still by far my favourite site, but, the loss of some seriously humourous members, who were also highly respected for their angling knowledge was bound to leave a gaping hole.

The site has still, to me, some of the spark missing. I can't get motivated/interested as I used to be.

Re slow loading, it was explained to me by a PC expert, (a friend who knows a bit abaht these things), that it's because of all the graphics.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I don't know about other sites because using one is sufficient for me,time wise.FM has some very good members who give freely on information and even after 61 years fishing I have picked up loads of good,new,sound knowledge based on experience...

I'm bound to say it became rather irksome some time ago when various people were leaving and it is a loss that they went,and although they say 'the show must go on' it has never been quite the same since.............................

Someone mentioned Mark Wintle who seems to have gone AWOL....what happened to Fred Blake-he posted some great stuff IMO...

Why can't you comment 'for obvious reason' Jeff ??................surely you can give an opinion....and I thought it was only the Royal family who kept thought to themselves............................................................................

ps Good thread Ray-I think its interesting to read what others think..

Last edited:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
does no one use gofishing.co.uk ? is there a reason that you don't ?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I'm a bit of a forum tart. Because I do a lot of match fishing I subscribe to MFS and TF forums. I also subscribe to TA which is good for members selling tackle. I also look at both my club forums for local stuff. Not forgetting mushrooms TAC forum .
But I always look on here first.........

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
I've always used multitude of sites ,and my favourites change as things ebbs and flows .as threads of interest to me are on thr forums ,the more i use them ,there nothing wrong with broardening your horizons ,and using other forums ,it just means you can bring more back too Fm .

some good sites have come and gone over the years ,i do use Fm's sister site as theres a long running thread or two covering the erewash foundations work which i'm involved with .and the classic coarse section ,i do pop in here too fm quite regularly for a look see .but most of my current forum activities are centred on Pure piscator forum ,BFW and maggotdrowners & total-fishing (where i'm a moderator) as these have threads of intrest too me .i simply go where the threads are .visiting several forums each day/night

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Why can't you comment 'for obvious reason' Jeff ??................surely you can give an opinion..
I'm staff.

I'm not going to say that there are better ones, am I? :D

(Well ok, between you and me Tee Cee, and don't tell anyone else please, this is still the best site full of great people and some skillful anglers who can debate touchy subjects in a civilised manner like the close season and not fall out and being honest, if FM ever closed down [WHICH IT WON'T!] I would just simply stop going on the Internet - even finish with Ebay, most possibly - or not!):wh

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
does no one use gofishing.co.uk ? is there a reason that you don't ?

theres a reason i don't ,i used too be part of the old anglingtimes forums admin/moderator side of things ,then they decided too change everything over too "go fishing" and the forum change over was a farce ,they totally mucked it up ,and the go fishing forum software was /is total garbage and about 10 years out of date .not the most user friendly .