Little record breakers?

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
According to todays Metro, quoting New Scientist magazine as source.

The Crucian Carp can go for months 'without' oxygen due to it's ability to change the structure of its gills to boost oxygen uptake allowing them to survive periods of little or no oxygen.

Also their red blood cell haemoglobin is the most efficient of all known vertibrates.

This research was carried out at the University of Oslo in Norway.

What do you make of that?

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
could lead to a new way of testing if there pure crucians or a crossbred. De-oxygenate all the water if the fish dies its not a true crucian ;0)

Beecy

Reaction score
I can believe this, we used to fish a little pond as kids that was so poluted and stunk so bad you wouldnt think fish lived in it but it was full of stumpy little crucians

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

That the same stinking pond i used to get me livo Crucians from i reckon, terrible state, stank, some years hardly any water, disgusting silt but bloody hell it was and i believe still is thriving with em.

P

Phil Hackett disability bad speller with Pride

Bryan but if you didn't deoxygenate the water fully, the 1/2 breeds 3/4 breeds etc would still remain because of their cruie lineages.

P

Phil Hackett disability bad speller with Pride

?Also their red blood cell haemoglobin is the most efficient of all known vertibrates.?

We?d best get them on the endangered spices list quick, coz if our useless athletes and their sport scientists find this out, they?ll be using them for cell stripping and transplanting.

I say no to CCBCT!!!!

Crucian Carp Bioteching and Cell Theft!!!!!!!!

P

paul williams 2

The Cruce without a doubt has something that other critters don't have.......years ago i found half a crucian on the bank, a mink or something must have had it and been disturbed by my approach......anyway, it's head, gills and small part of the body and insides were still "working", horrible but true!......i stamped on it to put it out of it's misery.

Six hours later as i walked back the poor thing was alive and looking up at me!! slightly pushed into the mud but still alive!

Don't you see some weird and wonderful sights spending time fishing!

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
My god man that sounds like the plot to a horror film or some kind of disturbed nightmare!

My mate went to Japan and fimed a sushi chef on his camcorder...

He plucked a live fish from it's tank right next to the chopping board, filleted it alive leaving it looking like a cartoon fish skeleton complete with head, prepared the flesh after sticking the head in a bowl of water, stuck the head and bones on a stick in the middle of the plate and arranged the flesh around it.

This took a total of about 20 seconds and the fish was still gasping as it was served.

Put me off sushi just watching it on video, my mates face on film was a picture I can tell you.

P

paul williams 2

It's a good thing that our fish have anglers then, who look after em like babes....at least we don't try to eat em alive like mink and Japs!