Posting Rods

• Thread starter Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)
  • Start date
N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

A good friend of mine who now lives in Australia has asked me to help out his mother in disposing of a lot of tackle belonging to his father who has recently died.

I am thinking about putting the larger items on e-bay as well as on the classified items section of the site.

As I will have to post the rods to their buyers, does anyone know where I can get hold of protectives tubes and also what the postage cost of a rod is likely to be?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Nigel,

I have a fair few protective tubes from the past - you are welcome to come and take your pick.

Usually on E-bay the buyer pays for the P&P.

b.t.w. Is there anything that you think I'd be interested in?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Nigel, You can buy plastic tubing in D.I.Y. stores you don't need caps on them as with fishing tubes. Pack both ends with tissue paper to secure the rods and tape over the ends stick two labels on the tube (in case 1 gets damaged in transit) I always cellotape over these as an added protection. The postage cost can be ascertained from the post office and its by weight of course but round about a fiver will cover it.

The problem with cardboard tubing that comes with shop bought rods is that its quite heavy but as Peter says on Ebay the buyer pays the postage.

P.O. Charges. 1 kg - ?3.60. 2kg ?4.97

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Thanks Guys.

I was aware the buyer pays postage on e-bay but you normally have to state how much they are to pay.As you say Graham, I suppose I can simply go to the post office with a parcelled up rod and ask them to give me a price.

Peter, you have PM.

F

Fred Bonney

Just a note Nigel, a 12' two piece will not be taken by the Post Office, so you need to look to a local courier(?11ish).
Put ?15 quid postage on ebay to cover 'packaging'

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Nigel,

just checked a few on e-bay - seemingly between ?8 and ?14 is the average, although one 'wag' is stating ?20 P&P from the NE.

PS - the item you mentioned in the PM is definitely of interest ;-)

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Thanks All,

Peter, that would tie in with Freds figure.

Anyone recommend a courier? TNT or the like I suppose?

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

PS Thats what I like about FM.In about an hour you have your problem solved - great!

F

Fred Bonney

Nigel,people like TNT will want an account customer,so you need to find a local one and they take it to a hub for another local one to deliver.
I had one delivered to me yesterday via a Hereford firm that was delivered by a Grantham firm.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Nigel,

I would not go to Courier company's.

A couple of years ago I sent a pole, a rod and a tackle box to a young match angler in Scotland.

The total cost was ?107!

A right rip-off IMHO!

S

Shrek

I've sent a few rods from sales on Ebay and so far have managed to use Royal Mail for all bar one.

Your Post Office will only take parcels up to 1.5m in length however you should be able to take something larger than that down to your local sorting office and see if they will take it over the counter.

Would there be any fly fishing tackle in the items for sale?

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Thanks Adrian, I will try the Post Office route first of all as it seems easier to arrange than a courier.What did you put for postage on your ads on e-bay? A flat fee or item specific?

There may be some Fly stuff but I am picking it all up tomorrow and will know then. There was a 8ft Hardy cane brook rod but my friend has quite wisely kept that as a keepsake.I will put anything good on the site for a week or two before e-baying it as I never have much luck selling on e-bay.Anyone want a double baby buggy?

Joskin

Reaction score
I asked the in my local post office only yesterday what the maximum length of a parcel is that they can take. They replied there is no limit so long as it weight under 30kgs and will fit through the front door. They seemed to think that 7-8 foot would be fine. In the Post I have used parcel force as you can book and pay on line without having to have an account and you can specify a collection time. The last time i used them I posted a pair of skis that were a lot heavier and longer than any rod and the postage cost me ?12 for a 48 hour delivery.

F

Fred Bonney

Typical isn't it I was told that a parcel cannot exceed 1.86m!!

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
i have sold and brought on rods e-bay and currently have some for sale at the moment.
my advice is to cut the rod tube down to the size of the rod,leaving about an inch or two either end.make sure the caps at the end of the tube are taped up well...i always use brown parcel tape.always use a good sized address label which wont come loose from the tube in transit.
finally the rod its self...its no use just sending it inside the tube in its rod bag.always wrap some bubble wrap around the lentgh of the rod or wrap it up in news paper.
it may seem a lot of farting around but believe me there is nothing worse than receiving a bashed about item of tackle that the sender hasnt bothered to package with a bit of thought and care....i know what its like to have bashed up stuff sent to me!!!
last week i sent an old rod of mine to be refurbished doing what i have mentioned above.....it cost me around ?3.70 in postage.
hope this is of some help to you.

C

Chris Bishop

The Royal Mail won't take anything six feet long, couriers vary in different parts of the country. I'd check first, or you could get caught out and end up losing money.