River Don, Sheffield City Centre

Craig Stewart

Reaction score
Having seen two people fly fishing for trout from my window this past week, I am just wondering whether there is a loophole in the closed season for Trout on this river? I am quite surprised there are actually Trout in there!I have seen both guys catch a couple of small ones and what i thought was a Grayling.

The stretch i am referring to, runs parrallel to Nursery street and Bennetts is nearby.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Beecy

Reaction score
river is full of trout Craig.

I am just up from you on Burton Road, I walk along the river behind Wicks most days, theres a whopper lives under the bridge, must be 3 or 4 lb.

Craig Stewart

Reaction score
Thanks Beecy,

Have had a read around and it seems the river has quite a population of Trout and Grayling.

Have you ever wet a line on the mentioned stretch?Do you know if there is a loophole in the closed season law?As I'm thinking abt bringing my brook rod from back home

NT

Reaction score
The brown trout season usually runs from 31st March to 31st September with some small local variations, but it's definately all go in April. Grab your buzzers and hawthorn patterns..

Beecy

Reaction score
No, never fished it Craig.

The bit I am on about, from the bridge on Rutland road that runs behind Wicks and down to the small bridge on Ball street,just above Kellam Island, looks lovely, mixture of shallows and deep glides. I often watch the trout taking flies under Rutland Road bridge and further down in the deeps you can see shoals of nice Roach if the light is just right.

The Problem is that you can not get to the river on this bit, as it is a straight drop of 15/20 foot from the footpath over the railings, the other bank is the same.

Although now the new flats are nearing completion it looks like they are building a staging bit that might give access but no doubt this will be a private patio bit for residents of the flats.

captain carrott

Reaction score
used to fly fish for the trout in there back in the 80's in that bit, you do have to put up with the occasional bit from the odd big chub though.