Weymouth Harbour

naffa

Reaction score
Were going down to Wyke regis next wkend to celebrate 20 years of wedded bliss :p, I'm going to take a 9ft telescopic spinning rod wkth me with the idea of fishing the harbour or coast nr Weymouth.
How should I fish it, spinners, lug or ragworm etc?

Also any decent tackle or bait shops in the area?

Thanks Nathan

Specihunter

Reaction score
Where do you want me to start Naffa
1 float is best on the pier with mackerel as bait vary your depth to find the fish rag is ok but can get torn off by small wrasse you can spin but it's only good later on (if you can fish around dusk the pollock go nuts) or bread if you see any mullet.
2 Weymouth angling centre is by the harbour and that is a sea anglers heaven also there is dennings/chesil angling centre which is not to far from chesil beach.
If your allowed and can afford to book a day on a charter boat some cracking spots around Portland and Weymouth bay.
3 get there early as it gets jammed packed and try to get to the end of the pier if not further up the better and fish into the bay not the harbour side.
any more info i would be glad to help.

hope this helps
speci

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
I'm sure specihunter meant to mention that you need to get on to the Stone Pier, so park at the Nothe Fort and walk down.

I was out boat fishing last weekend - very poor, so I'd keep your cash in your pocket if I were you. We're just between season, no matter what the weather seems to be saying.

There may be a few school bass around Ferrybridge which you can catch on spinners, plugs and crab with the kind of tackle you've got. Same target species fishing VERY early morning on Chesil beach or off the rocks around Portland (occasional fish turns up at the Bill this time of year.

But you could also try in Weymouth Harbour itself for the mullet. Groundbait with bread mash, and fish with waggler tackle and a bit of flake on a size 10 on fluorocarbon. You might even be able to get one off the top. Or try fishing a ragworm-baited Mepps.