Home insurance beware of the small print

• Thread starter Lee Swords (The new and improved)Satans little he
  • Start date
L

Lee Swords (The new and improved)Satans little he

A few years ago I smashed my Milo 11-11

the damage was ?2999.95

The claim was settled without quibble my policy covered all

a few months later i had a letter from the TSB saying that if they couldn't save me money that I would recieve ?50

an apointment was made and they said that they would be able to save me money on my home insurance

I was very specific about my fishing tackle and its cover with individual item cover upto ?3000.fine no problem!

I have recently just had an accident where I smashed an old pole with a value of ?200-?300 no pay out!

Why?

I was away from home and my policy does not cover EXTENDED CONTENTS

Check that you have extended contents cover!

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Sometimes called personal possessions, some times called all risks. You must make sure you have cover for these things away from home, over a certain value (it varies from company to company ) you have to specify the item insured.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

I had the same problem when I got a ?800 lawn mower nicked from a job I was on.

I was told I was only covered if it was stolen from my own house.
I played hell with the company and threatened to cancel all of my other policys with them if they did not pay out as the insurance salesperson had made a mistake when I first took it out.
I did get payed, and am still with the same company.
But you do have to watch the small print, and remind the accessor that you have new for old.

It's strange how they offer you all these little extras when you take a policy out, but seem to overlook them when you come to make a claim. If you are not careful, you end up getting robbed twice over.

captain carrott

Reaction score
you should have told them you left it on the bank and when you went back it wasn't there, it's a theft not a breakage then.you have to report it to the police as lost though.

Reaction score
Swordsy....you did three thousand quids worth of damage to your 'Milo'? What's a 'Milo'? A car? A motorbike? What could you possibly have in your rucksack that could sustain '?3,000.00 worth of damage?'...that means it must have cost you at least ?3,000.01! What is it!? A jewel-encrusted boilie-drill? A delicious bed-time drink in a soild gold mug?I think we should be told.

L

Lee Swords (The new and improved)Satans little he

No, there is a story to it but not on an open forum!