Fox Stratos

richard turner

Reaction score
hi lads come on then give us your first impressions of the new fox reel plenty of hype in all the mags do you think its going to be a main rival to the baitrunner lets hear what you all think .

S

Spoddy Dave

I'll be looking for some new reels this summer so i will be having a look at them.
16 ball bearings,must be very smooth.
stratos

catman

Reaction score
Very smooth - maybe. But... They have front drag which can be awkward when you've got a big carp tearing off. Personally I don't thing that the Shimano 10000XTE reels could ever be bettered. If anyone has had any problems with them I would like to hearit. They are (in my opinion) the simplest and most trouble free reels available.

richard turner

Reaction score
got to agree with you catman iv fished with shimanos now for more years than i want to remember and never been let down i suppose we will have to wait and see how the new fox performs .

L

little Stu!

its all about opinions: I got the 10,000 XTE as a reel for me marker rod, but have shimano aero technium 10,000's for the rods for the exact reason you don't like front drags catman.

I like the feel of the front drags when playing carp and feel when hooking the bigger ones it plays an even stronger part in the fight.

love the 8,000 and 10,000 shimano baitrunners, but I feel shimano have developed far better reels to cater for the carp angler since they brought them out a few years back.

oh how i loved it (and laughed my tits off) when they said you could put far more yards casting on the 10,000 than you could on the 8,000!

Quick lads, upgradeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee now!

bless-em!

J

Jeff Woodhouse

Unless they were going to come up with a revolutionary design, and heaven knows how you'd do that today, I don't think they should have bothered.

Saying that, I agree with the Scouse Sage (Eddie C) there's always soemone that will buy it if there's a fox on it.

E

EC

I do like that photo Jethro lad!

Is it when you played a 'partisan' or 'Free french' resistance fighter?

E

EC

Getting back to the point, i have all the reels I want for now, but for something to be the same price as shimano it has to be 'the dogs' or offer something totally unique in my opinion!

Okuma reels I have yet to try, but even if they are gash (poo for non locals), at the price/s they sell for you really cannot complain, they may be the 'relative' new kid on the block but at least you aint paying top whack, unlike these reels.

THERE'S ONLY ONE STRATOS

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Has anybody actually handled one yet? Bit hard to make a judgment otherwise, isn't it?

F

Frothey

cant help thinking no matter how good they are, it'll be a bit like the solar alm's - theres already a competitive market with some excellent products for a newcomer to get into. i wonder who's making them for fox?

but then i'm sure the fox marketting machine will get going, all the sponsored anglers using them....

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Can't argue with any of that but you can be assured that when FM gets hold of one it'll be reviewed on the strength of how good or bad it is and how it compares to the competition.

What we won't do is allow blind loyalty or blind hatred of brands get in the way of what we really think.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
You were moderated because you didn't follow the new guidelines. Which include:

Don't use strong swear words in all sections other than Bait Box, and in Bait Box they need to be disguised with asterisks or similar.

You used a fairly strong swear word, in this section, Carp, without any disguise.

You may not consider the four letter word you used as 'strong', but would you find it in any of the angling print media?

Blind hatred of brands is evident on this forum if you care to look for it. Mention brand X and some will always jump on it to say it's rubbish.

C

Cakey

I must admit I dont like reviews ,if a review is in a mag I feel the mag is going to be on the side of the maker ,when was the last time you see some thing get slated ?
reviews by fishermen in my opion dont tell the whole story ie some one with a reel from a car boot sale for ?2 goes out and buys a new carp reel for ?20 is going to think its the dogs nuts when we no its probably not,and someone that goes out and spends ?300 for a reel and dont like it aint going to admit it !
so the only real way is like Graham said you need it in your own hands and trust your own judgements

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Cakey's right, what you think about something is the ultimate test.

Even the most honest review, editorial or user, is going to be a reflection of the reviewer's own taste, which may not be the same as yours.

Reviews are useful though, but should be treated as a starter guide before you get hold of the product yourself and make your own judgment.

B

Bully

Yeh - but Cakey's most telling comment was

"if a review is in a mag I feel the mag is going to be on the side of the maker ,when was the last time you see some thing get slated ?"

I dont even bother reading them. In one mag (cannot remember which) you may get a "would be better with......" type comment when they test a number of makers in one category, and I cannot remember seeing one getting less than 45 out of 50!