When is a noddy not a noddy and would they know that they weren't a noddy ?

• Thread starter Lee Swords (The new and improved)Satans little he
  • Start date
L

Lee Swords (The new and improved)Satans little he

What is a noddy?
Am I a noddy?
Are you a noddy?

Does it really matter?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

A Noddy can be one of two things.

1.. A well trained hand picked committee man.

2.. Something you buy from the chemist, ribbed flavoured,or plain.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
a muppet is a angler who does it all wrong but doesn't care as he catches no matter how incompetent they are.

a noddy is a angler who doesn't quite know what he's doing but wants too so he can catch more and improve

a numpty is a angler who knows what to do but still manages not to catch much

i just carn't find a word or definition to describe the type of angler i'am,i'm fairly successfull at most types of fishing i do but don't always catch a lot & suffer from terminal clumsiness,misfortune and minor disasters.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
The phrase 'noddy angler' should not be a mark of someones angling ability but a statement of how they behave on the bank towards a) their fellow anglers b) the fish they catch and c) the environment around them. Only those who drink excessively on the bank and throw their empty beer,corn and luncheon meat cans in the bushes; leave line and hooks on the bank to endanger birdlife; are loud and abusive to anyone who challenges them; dont see the need for an EA licence and think a 8lbs bream is a 'F*** nuisance' when carp fishing qualify. Thats your true 'noddy', and remember he'll be a noddy everywhere else not just on the bank. He was probably a noddy at football matches before he took up fishing.

captain carrott

Reaction score
just carn't find a word or definition to describe the type of angler i'am,i'm fairly successfull at most types of fishing i do but don't always catch a lot & suffer from terminal clumsiness,misfortune and minor disasters.

that would be a jason then matey

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Let me see if I can define a Noddy in modern terms.

let's take carp angling for example.

First of all, being a "Noddy" or otherwise has got absolutely nothing to do with catching fish. In fact you are most likely to be classified as a noddy if you do catch fish.

For example: "Hey did you see that Noddy over there, he just landed his second 40 in an hour. He hasn't got the latest pod and his delkims only have red and green LEDs.

And look at his bivvy - it's one of those cheap Fox jobs. And he grinned when he looked into the camera."

Yeah mate, must be a Noddy. Has only fished the water for 2 days and he gets two 40s - got to be a noddy. He didn't even have his reel handles in line and he's only using 2 rods.

It's all about rod/hours mate, nothing to do with catching fish you know! I've spent 4 months on the water with 4 rods and haven't had a run yet, that's what you call dedication. Dedication and having the right kit equals street cred.

Would hate to be a Noddy like him."

T

The Monk

The word Noddy appeared to be coined in the late 60s and was one of the most severe and derogative names you could call an angler, it basically reffered to someone who didnt have a clue. You could get away with calling other anglers most of the Biggest set of Bas***ds imaginable but call them a Noddy and you really had to make sure you could handle yourself.

R

With a bell on the top?

And do you go to sleep with Big Ears?

R

"Oh I'm the little nodding man I always nod my head."

:eek:D

T

The Monk

And do you go to sleep with Big Ears?

no mate, my ears have usually gone smaller by bedtime!

Beecy

Reaction score
A Noddy is someone that:-

uses a footplate on their seat box when sat on a perfectly level purpose built platform

Opens about 6 bags of various sensas/van den eynde etc. and mixes it into a pile of useless stodge

sets up a pole at a predetermined (usualy full) length without plumbing up at any other

sprays about 2 pints of maggots over the area of a tennis court and balls's it up for anyone either side

chucks his feeder into my peg, the bloke next to me, and the two blokes at the other side, and still catches more than me

turns up mid morning and imediately sets up a bivvy on a nice sunny day and sticks a can of beans on a silly little stove

has a towel at the ready in case he catches a nasty little perch

could go on and on but my Indian has just been delivered.