What NOT to put in boilies / pastes

E

Evan

Everyone and his mother seems to have a recommendation or ten for that which to add to home made mix to make a killer boilie.....

As a newbie home made boilie experimenter I am less interested in that which I can put in to my mix (there are literally thousands of internet pages and recipes) than those things which are positively bad, dangerous, poisonous or otherwise deleterious to fish in general / carp in particular which I should not and never should put in.

The only reference I have run into on a couple of occasions is to vinegar. In particular in the context of using cockles or mussels on the hook; the advice given was to use c or m's in brine, never vinegar, as the v would cause carp to up and leg it as far away as possible.

It struck me that it can't just be vinegar, there must be other regularly eaten humanly consumable comestibles (try saying that when pissed !) that fish don't like or are not good for them. The bait companies must surely have done such research and know what is or isn't good or bad ? And if so does anyone outside that secretive inside circle know what is what and able to disseminate those results ?

Would be greatly appreciated, as I don't particularly want to spend days and hours sitting behind a rod equipped with my beautifully spherical home made vinegar and "X" ingredient boilies blanking like buggery all day when it might be avoided....

And also the not inconsiderable question of fish health, chucking in boilies laden, in ignorance, with what amounts to a fish poison is hardly a good idea.

PS. For all those home made paste makers out there.... Co-op pizza base mix... ! The bees knees, so sticky and binding you will take a week to get it off your hands, let alone the kitchen - or your hook ! Works a treat and costs almost nothing.

captain carrott

Reaction score
high oil levels are bad for the liver.

and over about 10% of the base mix containing atlantic kryll will cause them to float off all over the lake.