salmon and sea trout rod licence

russ

Reaction score
Do i need a salmon and sea trout rod licence to fish ion sacotland and ireland or even wales? is it only for england ?

At the extra cost for the rod licence for salmon and sea trout is it worth it to me?
i am new at flying fishing and wanted to be right in all cases but so much to learn and remember, i am wondering if i have to travel to catch these fish only to find i did not need the extra fee for that section of the rod licence, well i am left wondering because i got one last year should i pay for one this year?
does anyone one have any accruate info on this topic, i would be grateful
russ
russ@usvaldas.demon.co.uk

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
You need it for England and Wales but not scotland not sure of Ireland if they have a licence scheme or not. Don't think they do.

If you are only fishing with a trout road you will be ok but if you ave a salmon roat will be a bit hard vsaying that you are not fishing for salmon.

It annoys me that people keep telling you that there is no genetic difference between a brown trout and a sea trout. So why do you need a seperate licence to fish for them.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Bryon,

I asked this question of the EA at the NEC one year. I said a magistrate would throw out the case. They replied that they could test whether a fish had been to sea by measuring levels of certain radioactive substances that you get in sea feeding fish. I said how could an angler tell that? Then I asked about slob (estuarine) trout. They had no answer. The system is a joke. Seatrout breed with brown trout. Also, some brown trout will be migratory, some seatrout will not migrate. It would be simpler if there was just one licence. The real reason is to get more money, and by lumping seatrout in with salmon it cuts out the argument about whether a silvery 10lb fish is salmon or seatrout (where have we been on that one before?).

What do I need if I catch a salmonxbrown trout?

As for genetics it appears that there may be several species of brown trout but how many is not yet clear.

C

Chris Bishop

It's all down to funding. The migratory trout/salmon licence revenue is invested into conserving salmon and sea trout.

The licences are more expensive becuase the EA's work with salmon and sea trout costs more per angler than coarse fish/non-migratory trout.

russ

Reaction score
thank you all for your replies, some info i have heard as also the opions about use of licence funding etc and some feelings of unfairness in that. i would be grateful to hear of any experiences catching salmon and sea trout in the south of england; hampshire, wiltshire somerset and bristol areas etc, as that is local to me: especially any extra costs involved in fishing for them.
again thank you for your replies

keora

Reaction score
Good Salmon and Sea trout fishing is scarce, especially in the south of England.
These fish are good to eat, and salmon fishing is popular among the more affluent sections of society. This means you have to pay out a lot of money to fish a good salmon water. The most productive salmon water in England is the Tyne.