sightings

S

steadyeddie

has anyone seen there first swollow,as of yet,only seen one sandmartin,nature has a way off telling you things,as only anglers know to well,

P

Paul Clarke

visited my club water today - completely different to this time last year - hardly any green growth on tree's and the lilypads are hardly showing at all whereas last year at Easter , they were quite profuse. Late start this year i think

F

Fred Bonney

I saw a solo swallow on saturday last(8th),my first siteing.

Beecy

Reaction score
saw a good swallow last night, dont think its the same sort you lot are talking about though

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I'm surprised at you two bad uns!
Especially you Beecy, what happened to our pledge?

I thought it, but didn't post it!

tut tut.

;-)

Beecy

Reaction score
cant think what you meen Steve.

Tell you what,I bet Freds solo swallow was a sight to behold

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I can never tell the difference between swifts and swallows.

I know they tagged one of them and found that they fly six miles up at night, then go to sleep on the wing.
They fly down in a spiral, whilst a sleep, incredible, or what?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

A swift is a bigger bird than a swallow and has a larger scimitar shaped wing. It also does not have long extensions at the points of it's tail.

It flies higher and much faster. Whenever I see a swift I wonder how long it took to get here from SA.

F

Fred Bonney

Should be Beecy,big sigh of relief from me, with FFC.

Swifts are far noisier too,they shriek around at full tilt,usually more so, late in the year, when they are preparing to go to,well you know.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

No I think those are swallows.

Swifts cannot perch by the way, however they can hang, similar to a bat. They are the fastest flying bird in the world and have been known to reach 100 mph.

I have seen swifts tackle 4 inch long locusts and 2 inch long wood wasps which have a tremendous sting. They eat vast numbers of insects.

B

Bob Watson

I believe the Swift is the fastest animal living, followed by the cheetah. Ron used to be close neighbours with both.