The Stone-Walker Letters

C

Cakey

Ron do you know if there are plans for a cheaper version for us normal paid anglers ?

cant see liberary's holding it either !

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

There is the possibility of a soft cover issue, I'll speak to Medlar at Chatsworth.

Derek Lewis 5

Reaction score
hi,ron thanks for putting that up,and yes i would like a cheaper version of the book in the paperback version if medlar do one.regards derek.

R

There are no plans for Medlar to produce a paperback of this book. And only 600 odd copies will be printed.

That means in a few years time, this book in good condition, will start fetching very high prices.

This is a shame in a way, as only people who are able to afford it will be able to read it. Yet on the other hand if you buy the book it will be an investment, especially the leather back.

Fred Blake

Reaction score
Let's put this into perspective. ?45 for a book seems a high price, but is it? How many of you drive a car (or an SUV) that does less than 25 miles to the gallon? In other words, with today's fuel prices, at least 20p a mile.

A day on a typical 'commercial' costs what? ?8? ?10? It does round my way. Add to that a bag of pellets (?3) and a pot of instant hookable super-duper bag-up minced sandeels (another ?3 or so) and the cost of getting there (50 mile round trip, say ?10 fuel) and you're over half way there.

OK, so you might not want to give up two days' fishing to buy one lousy book. Don't then. But don't moan that you can't afford it when you can - even if it means excercising a little self-restraint along the way.

I got my copy last week. A lovely book, produced to Medlar's usual outstanding quality, offering an insight into the minds two of the greatest anglers of all time. I had to forgo a day's trout fishing at the weekend to pay for it, but I didn't mind one bit.

C

Cakey

my season ticket cost ?42 shall I give up for a season...............I think not
I know I wont get my rod licences...........I think not
havent worked since august so will i get to read it..........I think not

Fred Blake

Reaction score
All I am saying is, if you want something, you either pay for it, or you go without. I would quite like a Barder MkIV; if Ron can persuade him to make me one for ?100 I'd be very happy.

C

Cakey

and im saying the book is aimed at people like you that pay ?45 for a days fishing !

R

Cakey,

When a friend is finished with my copy, I'll post it on to you.

Send me a PM with your address.

C

Cakey

Ron thats a very very very kind offer but my Wife has decided to buy it for my birthday in June

thanks again Ron

R

That's great news Cakey.

I can assure you, you will enjoy the book. Especially where Stoney plays that monsterous trick on Walker.

And how to make the most out of angling shots of one fish!

And of how Stoney runs out of ideas for articles so Walker gives him 4 subjects just like that.

C

Cakey

yeah cant wait Ron
one more q if we get the leather one for an investment how do we look after it ?

F

Fred Bonney

Cakey,don't read it,wrap it up in something to keep the damp out, and lock it away in a dark place!

R

I was going to suggest that you get the leather copy to put away, and the cloth copy to read.

But this is more than an investment, it is a very readable book indeed. You will enjoy reading it over and over, just like "Drop me a Line".

I have my name down for a leather copy of Walker's Biography.

darkuser80

Reaction score
I picked my copy up from Jon Ward - Allen (Medlar) at the Fly Show at Newark at the beginning of April, as usual the quality is of the book is sublime.
A superb read, which became a compulsive page turner, I did find it hard to put down. This sheds light on the relationship between two of the greatest anglers of all time. Another great book from Medlar press.

R

I am pleased that Barrie Rickards has reviewed this book. I am also pleased that both Barrie and myself are on a similar tack regarding the book's worth.

Yes, it is one of the finest angling reads to be released in the past half century.

Yet as Fred says, it will not be read by many, due to the high cost.

However for those of you who want a copy, I would suggest you get your order in smartly as this book is going to sell out quick. If it does, it just might encourage Medlar to consider a paper back at a price more affordable to many.