Floater Fishing - Hooklength

D

David Marrs

Can anyone please recommend a decent hooklength material in about 10lb - 12lbs breaking strength - suitable for floater fishing?

Kind regards,
Dave

M

Mark Hodson

Berkely XL in clear, ?1.99 for 100m, cheap, reliable, tough, floats well and as its limp lets the hookbait float around naturally like the freebies.

F

freespiritboy

I use 8lb drennan double strength fly leader being pre stretched it's a smaller diameter than normal 8lb line, and i would imagine you can get it in 10 or 12lb.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Drennan double strength is my choice in 12lb.

D

David Marrs

Many thanks chaps, I intend to do a little Carp fishing this Spring so thanks again for your help.

Davos

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I use 8Ib krystonite with Enterprise imitation dog buicuit. I dont mind it sinking slightly and don't find it pulls the bait back.

C

Cakey

put them on the rigs thingy and we can all help you test them

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Right, well, got a bit sidetracked when I realised what a complete mess my tackle was after not fishing for a few weeks.

Spent this evening tidying the garage then tidying my tackle into the tidied garage, will appraoch the rig construction tomorrow after work.

Sorry chaps.

D

David Gifford

My favourite carp fishing method.

I just keep it simple, stop bead 6ft up line , thread on a Drennan surface float, trap with stop bead, straight through Diawa Sensor main line 6lb.

Size 10 Gardiner Talon Tip , bait band, chum mixer.

Perfect results.

Beat every angler on 4 lakes so far last year.

I think main idea that works is , keep catapulting 3 or 4 chum mixers in every 5 mins or so.

But don,t start fishing until most angler have gone home , bout 5 - 6 pm . couple of hours of daylight left and plenty of action.

Give it a bash, quick , cheap and easy.

Can,t wait for the Carp to surface again this year!

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
From my limited experience of floater fishing and from programs I've watched and articles I've read it would appear that the critical factor is not fishing too early, but to take your time feed a little and often and to wait until the fish are feeding very confidently, even if that taked an hour or two.

D

David Marrs

Hi David,

I used to fish a delightful little estate lake in the early 90's and took an awful lot of Carp on floaters. I used to freeline them mate, by dipping them in the water you could gain enough weight to give them quite a substantial cast. Especially so if you used 2 or 3 floaters at a time.

I used to either get em 'up' by careful feeding or roam around the lake looking for mooching fish.

Either way, it was great, great fun and I thoroughly enjoyed the couple of years whilst it lasted.

Benny The Bream

Reaction score
Lots of people say to get the fish feeding hard first although Jim Shelley absolutly ripped horton apart last year and he would cast out and then spod the floaters out.

D

David Gifford

hey thats something I haven,t thought of , using the spod to get a large amount of mixers in a tight area.

I have used pva balls of em but the catapults not as good as the spod, not for me anyway.

Cheers for that , I,ll give it a bash soon...

another rig I use with lots of sucess is the same rig as the marker float method, adjust the mixer to just under the surface.

works if its a chilly day and the Carp are just under the surface and not on the top.

Cheers lads.