I am sick of this

richiekelly

Reaction score
There are a couple of pools near where i live both are on private land one held lots of golden orf the other had lots of carp, not big up to about 8lbs but were good fun to catch on an evening using floaters.

i have just come from a walk round these ponds [i have permission ] i doubt there is much left in there now, the reason? eastern europeans were there kids rubbish fires and old barbeques,i told them they shouldnt be there as it was private land,the answer was aggression and "i dont speak english".

these people know that what they are doing is illegal but they dont give a toss and never will until the EA take some action instead of the answer that i got when i rang them which was "were very busy" to make it worse i have just got my new rod licence,the EA are very good at taking but not taking action,it makes my blood boil.if the EUs need educating then so do the people at the EA being paid out of money from the licence fee tax.

rant over.

mol

Reaction score
As it's private land could the owner of the land and ponds not ring the police? After all what they're doing is trespass and theft

dezza

Reaction score
What gets me about government quangos like the EA is that they are supposed to be civil servants - servants of ourselves the tax payer.

My own attitude to any civil servant is simple. At any time if I feel they are being idle, I will tell them where to get off! Let's face it, its is our taxes that give ANY civil servant breath! We must NEVER stop letting them know this fact.

If they don't do as we tell them there must be some way of reporting their behavoir to an ombudsman of sorts who will act on the taxpayer's behalf and kick some serious ass!

Last edited:

mickhayes

Reaction score
Welcome to the real world, i have had first hand experience of this,I can tell you now the EA will do nothing if our Eastern European friends are involved. The trouble is if you speak up about this problem you get accused of racism or picking on immigrants. A lot of people have their heads buried in the sand where this is concerned because they don't want to get involved. We have enough problems with otters and cormorants. No doubt someone will have a go at me for saying this but hey look at the facts.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I know a chap, quite well in fact, who would simply call the EA to report a pollution incident, you know the sort of thing; loads of dead fish on the surface, fish gasping on top of the water etc.

Once on the scene they are obliged to act on any offence they see taking place.

As the Meerkat says . . . . . . simples . . . .

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Once on the scene they are obliged to act on any offence they see taking place.

Peter, if only it was that simple. I have a stretch of river at the bottom of my land. Over the years I have had various polution instances, from a neighbour who emptied their swimming pool in (turned a very nice shade of blue) to sewage outflows. Twice in the last 12 years the river has stopped flowing due to abstraction, once unofficial but once authorised by the EA!

I ring them every time, they have never attended. I either get told to take a sample for the pollution (they even picked it up once) or I get the same excuse as Blanker got.

The only time they came down was when I pointed out that their engineering work downstream had caused the river to back up in the winter. Seven of them turned up to reassure me and tell me that the river was a chalk stream of great ecological importance. Heaven knows how seriously they would take a watercourse that wasn't!

Try it by all means and the best of luck!

Last edited:

mickhayes

Reaction score
But why does someone have to lie to get the EA to act? (that's if they did!) It's not right!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
My own attitude to any civil servant is simple. At any time if I feel they are being idle, I will tell them where to get off! Let's face it, its is our taxes that give ANY civil servant breath! We must NEVER stop letting them know this fact.

Its nice to see you had a good break Ron and that your views are still as balanced as ever.

Rog Hill

Reaction score
Peter, you beat me to it there. However I would have called the EA to report a group of people attacking otters.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
i spoke to the farmer that owns the land and the pools,he said he would try to keep an eye out for them,bolting horse and stable door?

Maybe they had paid the farmer and had his permission to tuck in , no law broken.
As said earlier it is his property and it is up to him.
If he cared he could have reported a theft to the police.

Last edited:

quickcedo

Reaction score
Apart from licences, polution etc. Does the EA have any jurisdiction in this case as it's private land and the fish are therefore privately owned ?

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
They must do or else you wouldn't need a rod licence to fish private waters ie most of them.

quickcedo

Reaction score
You need a licence to hold a rod. It doesn't matter where you use it. or else you wouldn't need one on any commercial water.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
As I understand it the EA can take legal action against you if your fishing your own pond in the garden, it doesnt matter if it's private land or not.

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
MarkTodd said:
You need a licence to hold a rod. It doesn't matter where you use it. or else you wouldn't need one on any commercial water.

True but to check them they must be able to go on private land to check them - little point otherwise.