Beware the "Buttered Bun"

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

I put this under "General" because it affects all of us who spend lots of time outdoors. I'm referring to the sun of course.

For those who don't know (there can't be many), I spent a good deal of my life in Southern Africa. Now the sun down there is a killer, especially at high altitudes. And I spent much of my life living at above 5000 feet above sea level where the ultra voilet and infra red rays are far more powerful than at sea level.

I learned my lesson about the dangerous rays of the sun very quickly. I spent 5 days in hospital with enormous sun blisters on my back togther with a bout of prickley heat.

The pain of intense sunburn is 3 times greater than recieving 2 dozen of the cat by the way!

And over the years I have had several large lesions removed from various parts of my anatomy due to sun.

But even in this country in summertime we have to take care. With global warming and the fact that the sun, in England, in high summer, spends more time sending out its rays to the earth than in Africa, it's as well to take care. My advice is to keep out of it! Wear a decent wide brimmed hat (not baseball caps), keep to long sleeved shirts and use a decent sun screen. Being afloat on water causes a lot of the dangerous rays to reflect from the surface of the water straight at you.

Those of you with red or ginger hair are most at risk. If you have a tendency to freckles, don't even go out in it.

I had a guy out in SA once who lived in Newcastle on Tyne. He came out on a business trip. His skin was the most incredible milky colour.

I had the job of enertaining him one weekend. I asked him if he fancied a days fishing. He did, and off we went.

I gave him an old ex-army bush hat and told him to put it on. I gave him one of my old khaki long sleeved bush shirts and told him NOT to roll the sleeves up.

He did as he was told.

We caught a few fish that day and he certainly seemed to be enjoying himself.

As I drove him back to his hotel, I noticed he seemed to be in some sort of pain. "It's the backs of my hands" he said.

I got him back to his hotel room and had a look at his hands.

Immediatly I called the hotel reception who organised a doctor. The doctor took one look at his hands and packed him off the hospital. He was there for 5 days receiving special treatment.

Skin cancer is a terrible thing and if left untreated, it will kill you.

My best advice for this summer is to get a decent hat, sun screen and to keep out the the rays of the killer in the sky.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Do you mean the "currant" Bun Ron?

R

No Baz, I'm talking about the yellow dwarf star we call Sol!

C

chris 2

Every once year i go to work bright red due to sunburn.I never learn my lesson.Last year i got sunburn whilst fishing under a tree for cover.The sun reflected of the water and i got burnt very bad.

R

Get some decent sun screen lotion Chris.

Poms are particularly susceptible to sunburn due to the fact that most spend 6 months of the year out of the sun.

Then they take a holiday in places like Spain and you know the rest.

For many years of my life my skin was the colour of mahogany. I gradually built up a resistance to the sun.

It was only through living in England that the "tan" eventually left me. However I noticed some rather nasty melanomas on the backs of my hands and on my legs.

They were removed at Rotherham Hospital.

C

chris 2

I use sun block Ron.What happened last year i forgot to put it on but id thought id be ok in the shade.Like you say you have to be careful of the sun reflecting of the water if your on a boat or on the bank.

Beecy

Reaction score
wear your shirt collar "cantona" stlye to keep it off the back of your neck.

I allways cover up in the sun, I didnt as a kid though, Ive come back many times before looking a right pillock with sunburn on only one side of my face ater sat facing east/west all day

Joskin

Reaction score
What the hell is a buttered bun?

One can only assume you men the cockney rhyming slang "Current bun" as Baz discreetly tried to point out.

Or is buttered bun south African for Sun.

G

Grant Lever

cantona kept his collar up to hide the black marks...........................................from carrying cole.

R

In SA we called it the buttered bun, as they do in Oz.

There was a great deal of the old Cockney rhyming slang used in the colonies, but it got changed over the years I guess.