Stu's 'Technical' Rig

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I've not yet had chance to try this rig but it is easy to see the theory behind it and, according to the results of Stu and friends, it appears to offer a practical solution to some missed takes.

I think I already know the answer but let me play devil's advocate to kick off the discussion:

Would a heavier gauge hook work just the same?

Used in conjunction with the line aligner of course.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I would also like to know why a hook hold inside the mouth is so preferable to the lip?

I have read many articles on here and in the press where a 'lip' hooked fish is considered perfect terminal tackle performance / mechanics.

I am seeking to understand this rather than provoking an argument by the way as I am always interested in new thinking and always impressed at the time and effort exerted by some people to give themselves an edge.

F

Frothey

it depends on how the rig works, and how the fish are feeding. lip hooking (as i believe it) normally happens as the fish moves off, the hooklength tightens, and the hook flips round....the problem is what if the fish doesnt move off? or if the hook doesnt flip - a single bleep?

the thing i still cant get my head around with this rig is that if you stand the rig up, with the shrink tube touching the table, the hook point points upwards - not necessarily the best way to prick the fish. so i modified it to give it what i believed to be a better point angle/position, but it didnt seem to make much difference.

and remember, dragging a hook over your hand doesnt give you any sort of indication of whats happening in the swirling vortex of a fish's mouth.....

L

little Stu!

Exactly Frothers, agree with those points.

Graham - in answer to your question, if the hook was heavier in general then there would be little overal difference. Its when the weight in spread more heavily across the straight of the hook.

Pikey Paul - a lip hold is a grat hooking arrangement, but how many have been pushed out past the lip in the first place? this gicves a drop before total expel in the hope the hold will be further back if not the middle of the bottom lip.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I was shown this by Stu last year at Yatley. Not used it for carp but did manage a couple of doubles of the Ribble with it. Did it make a diffrence to a normal rig don't know as when i had them it was on them one bite one fish sessions. Will definitly be trying it over the next couple of months.

S

Sage

Stu,
have you found this to work best with pop-ups, bottom or critically balanced baits?

I would have thought the extra weight would reduce the number of takes for a standard bottom bait...

L

little Stu!

This was for bottom baits and snowman. For pop-up's ive been on a diferent rig and have used the same for years.

L

little Stu!

re-reading your point Sage "I would have thought the extra weight would reduce the number of takes for a standard bottom bait..."

This rig would increase takes as opposed to reduce as the hook drops further back in the mouth hence a better potential for anti eject if/when it hits the bottom lip on expel.

Or do you mean reduce the bait being mouthed?

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
I'm confused.

An old Dog Nobbler hook that had been bent with pliers did a brilliant job with nailing em, but the problem was that it caused damaged.

The rig was easy to put together, but does anybody know why it worked quite so well?,

The Savvy Looney thing was the same and so is the Withy thing in theory,,,,They all incorporate a bent hook, be it the hook which is bent or the tube off the shank of the hook. The thinking behind the tubing was that it gave the same effect as the bent hook but had the properties of being able to easily straighten out under pressure from a hooked fish and thus not causing damage.

Ray Walton was weighting his hooks down with Lead/Putty type stuff years ago to try and fool the Whiskers, and i'm sure he wern't the first.

I think the old Dog Nobbler worked well because it was so heavy, and once it was in the mouth it hit the bottom lip and the fish could not blow it out without the hook turning and getting a hold in the bottom lip,,, It never went into the top one for me.

But it did cause damage. Sorry I've lost the thread a bit.

F

Frothey

the looney rig wasnt bent was it? i though it ws just a very extended shank - it put the bait near the eye of the hook so if the fish were mouthing baits the hook would go in first?

F

Frothey

the bent hook rig worked because it bouth put the bait up the shank, and caused the hook to flip

Malc Bason

Reaction score
Syt, with the shank of the hook being 'weighted', would this not negate the turning capabilities of the hook, and thus reduce the chances of hooking the fish?

(just frowing me ten pen'arf in loik)

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
Yea the looney rig had a long extension added to the shank ur right but i always believed that it had the effect of dropping the hook into the bottom lip and help it to turn. I realy liked the idea of adding heavy metal or the like and use it a lot, what i tend to do now is to push pieces of Lead core into the tubing coming off the shank, it works a treat.

L

little Stu!

great minds Murray and all that mate!!!!!!

tie one up Malc, it turns like a bitch!

S

Sage

Stu,
I was thinking of bottom baits. The weighted hook should make it much heavier than any free offerings.

I guess it depends on how confident the fish are, I have always thought of fish tentatively sucking in the baits, so I have tried to have a hookbait that is lighter than the freebies.