Which lure rod for bass ...

E

EC

I currently have a Ron Thompson 8 footer which is fine for canals etc but would like something a bit more substantial mainly for bass but also pike fishing, capable of chucking lures in the 15-50gram range out a fair distance.

The options so far

Mike Ladle 11ft from Veals, (made by Daiwa exclusively for Veals apparently) surely this rod/blank must come under another name and be less than ?74.95! Anyone?

Also another Mike Ladle 4pce 10ft model made by Harrisons for Veals!

A Drennan 9ft Esox reviewed by one of the lads here, but will the fittings be ok with salt water?

Zillions of others made by shaky, shimano, daiwa etc

Suggestions please?

Cheers

EC

alan

Reaction score
ive got a 12ft ron thompson steel head, 1-2oz casting weight, but i have cast 8-9 oz on it with out to much problems. ive used it for bass and mullet, and also for carp, not caught anything decent on it, but small fish feel nice and the one time i snagged up i bent it through 90degrees and straightend the hook out(20lb braid for mullet) so it has plenty of power in it.

i can cast a 2oz weight/lure around the 50meter mark with out to much hassle, ive not yet felt the need to really belt it out as i tend to use my beach casters for longer distances.

the best bit was, they sell for ?40.

David Craine

Reaction score
Try a Shimano Exage STC (basically a travel spinning rod that breaks down into shorter sections about 9, or 10 feet if I remember without digging it out of my tackle tip)it comes in its own Cordura Tube.I have owned one for a couple or three years now, it has 2 different lengths.I use it in Cornwall for plugging for Bass,and freelining Sandeel off my mates boat,I have also had sharks on it in Florida and In Australia all kinds of Toothy things.I won it in a Comp and honestly it is the most versatile bit of kit I have.

M

mark williams 4

I've got an Exage, and I echo the comments made by David - it's a corker of a rod, and nicely portable. I've had bass and pike on mine, and it just loves chucking lures all day.

M

mark williams 4

STC 270MH. Quite a pokey rod, very light, four pieces. Nice big guides so ideal for fixed-spool.

M

mark williams 4

Just looked it up. About ?47, and it says 'ere that it's six sections. All I can say is that it doesn't seem to affect the action.