Berkley Fireline Xds

Reaction score
I am considering different braids for light/medium lure fishing.

I have trolled past threads and gather that Power Pro is a favourite, closely followed by Fireline but has anyone tried XDS?

Your thoughts would be appreciated

C

Chris Bishop

No, only because the original Fireline is so hard-wearing it's still going strong after four seasons.

It does have one problem though.

Not sure about XDS but the one flaw of the original Fireline is it goes all furry when the coating wears, which cuts casting distance.

No problem if you're fishing drains or off a boat, when you only have to bung it 20yds.

Not so great if you have to get out a bit further.

I'm seriously into Powerpro having used it for a couple of seasons.

The 50 would do you a treat for chucking things like spoons about on a fixed spool reel, I use the 65 on a multi for Shad Rap sized lures and it's wicked.

C

Chris Bishop

Like I say I haven't used XDS as the original line's so hard-wearing I've never needed to replace it.

Brian Hazard

Reaction score
I have used the 50lb XDS (by mistake, when I purchased it two Christmas's ago I thought it was 30lb BS, and did not discover the difference until later, when I though it was rather thicker than expected and then checked). I used it for deadbaiting, and the one fault I discovered was that the fibres 'separated' when I put some Fox black float stops on. Of course, I realize that it was not meant for deadbaiting and that it was too thick (and too 'overgunned') for my type of current pike fishing (which is Fen Drains and small pits-type fishing) at a maximum range of 50 yards. Other than a loss of colour, it is excellent for spinning soft plastic, spoons, plugs; I do not currently use jerkbaits on these waters. I would buy again, but at a lighter BS.

C

Chris Bishop

I use float stops on braid Brian, just use plenty of spit to lube when you move them.

Brian Hazard

Reaction score
Christopher, (if I may)
Thank you for your advice. I will use it for the next pike season (I do not really fish for pike before October: no 'moral' objections to summer piking, just that I enjoy tench and general fishing, but on occasions will do some spinning on the Fen rivers, especially on the River Lark and Ouse around Prickwillow).
If the braid was cheaper I would buy 30BS but am loath to spend ?40 or so.