Three and a half hours!

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Got in from work at 21.30 hours, ate dinner, straight out to look through my tackle and tie a prototype surface carp rig for a new water I'm fishing this year.

Alas! the garage is a tip, the work bench, MY work bench, is covered with boxes and clutter, (ok some of it was mine).

Three and a half hours later I'm finally tidy and sorted, the fact I've not been fishing for a few weeks and my tackle bag was a tip didn't help matters either.

Now I am the proud owner of a tidy tackle bag, clean(ish) work area and several tubs of half used, old, dried out boilies.

Oh I also need a small skip for the rubbish I've chucked out.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I know how you feel Paul. I am continually looking into my garage and thinking that one of these fine days I am going to have a good clear-out, put up those shelves, assemble the work bench, tidy up my overflow tackle that found its way out there.

Then again I usually think, oh stu$$ it - it can wait!

We moved in September last year and a lot of the boxes, packing materials and general junk has ended up out there, and I just can't be bothered to use a day off to clean it up.

One day though . . . . . . . . .

PS whatever happened to bob-a-job week, and where are all those willing lads when you need one?
(only clean answers please!)

Malc Bason

Reaction score
I know the feeling - I returned from France recently, 'literally' threw the tackle in the garage and left it. I went in next morning to grab the clothes for wash, and pots etc for washing up, and have'nt been in since.

Everything has its place in there, and generally I like to have it all organised, but just can't face it at the moment.

T

the jakkle

i generally sort out my fishing bag every time i go fishing, just take it all out and put it back in place. saves hassle next time, and only takes a few minutes

K

Kevin Perkins * * * * * * *

Spend most of Easter weekend sorting out my garage, got the shelving (and put it up!)and now I just go out there to admire the tidyness and space.

WIll need to buy some more tackle to plug the gaps in my collection that I have discovered during the sort out - naturally!

But the question is, what do I do with all the car fixing equipment I have amassed over the years? Having started in the motor trade when I left school, I have ramps, axle stands, trolley jacks, valve spring compressors, slide hammers, piston ring clamps, any amount of bent and modified spanners for 'special' jobs, but if I open a car bonnet these days I wouldn't know where to start.

Plugs, points, tappets, kingpins, shims, trunnions, core plugs, half shafts, grease nipples, these were the things of my youth. Are they terms and skills that should be allowed to die out, or should I buy myself a Riley 1.5 or similar to keep my hand in?(And a reason for not slinging all those old tools down the dump!)

S

Shrek

Kev, whatever you do, don't sling it out.

You'd make cash at a car boot flogging it all, then think of all the tackle you could buy with the moolah!!!

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Well I left the old boilies soaking overnight in just enough boiling water to cover them in a bucket. They were mostly sweet flavours including scopex. Now I have a semi mush which I can add to my groundbait this weekend in an attempt to attract those Tench.

I was suprised how much water they took on actually and the different breakdown rates. I can confirm Frank Warwicks Scopex birdseed boilies remained the most solid, in fact still suitable as hookbaits.

I should say now re-usable as hookbaits as they were pretty hard before the soaking.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Now wait a minute - Kevin, does this mean that if I clear all that space in the garage then I too can get to fill it up with new tackle?

Whoa there, now that is the incentive I've been waiting for - none of the wife's "promises" (they never came to anything anyway) nor all that whinging from the kids about not having anywhere to store their bikes - oh no, no way - now a REAL incentive.

Thank you Mr. Perkins, you are a scholar and a gentleman Sir!

K

Peter
I was even more cunning, my wife did comment that I only ever seem to buy cheap tackle (always hide the true cost, as we all know) and have to keep replacing it. I said it was because I felt guilty spending lots of money buying better quality equipment. She was quite upset and said I should go and buy what I want, if it was better quality it would be worth it in the long run. I didn't disagree........!

Adrian
Thought about taking the garage gear to a car boot sale, but I would have to label everything and still explain what it did. Got space on my drive for a restoration project, perhaps a TR4 to start off with, maybe a Maserati BiTurbo that's looking for a good home, who knows......

K

'Car restoration AND fishing?...'

And local councillor, and writing those ever so entertaining and witty articles for FM...............

And if the EA ever get round to replying to my requests, part time bailiff as well!!!

K

Paul

Sleep is what I do at work all day.......