Trebles and nets

M

mike smith

I don't know if this has been asked before, but I usually use the standard set of two trebles on my trace.

When I land a fish, whether it goes bald in the net and tangles up or not, I snag the hooks on the landing net.

Unfortunately, this has happened quite high up on the netting, so tearing the net when the pike slides down the net.

I realise this is the point. Hooks snag on things, that's why I catch.

I cured one of the problems and now use barbless hooks, so if I do snag in the net I have no problems unhooking the net.

Am I doing something wrong, or do I have to buy a net every year to replace the shredded one?

Should I have a stab at having just one treble hook at the end of the trace, and replace the second treble with a carp hook to put in the tail root?

Any other hooking or landing tips?

J

John Howard

Yes, try replacing the top treble with a single in the tail root i have used this for years with no problems. Alternatively if the hooks can be seen do you feel confident enough to chin the pike out.

R

Ron Clay

I'll bet you are using those silly triangular carp nets for landing pike. Quite frankly they are useless anachronisms!

What you want is a round net with open knotless mesh. Harris angling supply this and it is superb. Trebles do not get caught up in this mesh and I am surprised more predator angler do not use them.

R

Rob Brownfield

Ron is right, also try Sharpes of Aberdeen. They make some VERY strong nets big enough for pike (Salmon Gye nets) with a great soft, but open mesh. I have been using one for lure fishing for many years now.

D

Dave O'L

I bought an Sharpes Aquarex Gye net (not the right spelling I think) which is cheaper because the metal used has a square profile rather than a traditional round one (the net is still round if this makes sense). Brilliant for lure fishing as it just slips on your back, is strong enough to deal with anything & has a reasonable length @ 6ft. The only problem is ledgering as weights will fall through the holes.

C

Chris Bishop

Ere, steady on with the anachronism Mr Clay.

I nearly always use one of those triangluar nets.

In fact I netted a big double you caught in it when we went out the other week...!

I got one of those big mesh nets for lure fishing, but it's really heavy and a little on the large side. Like walking around with half a trawler under your arm.

I'm also not convinced about how fish friendly those mushes are, they do cause red spots and split fins, esp with zander whose fins stick out all over the place.

R

Ron Clay

Many Years ago Chris I bought a triangular carp net and took it back to South Africa. It had 42 inch arms and really looked the business until I hooked a blinking great catfish. I couldn't get this fish into the net due to the fact that the draw string kept folding. The darned fish would not bend into the net and as a result I lost it.

That net got burnt the following day and I ended up buying a big round one similar to the job you showed me.

Never had a problem since although you might be right about the mesh on some of these American nets.

I think somone should really sit down and do a re-design job on landing nets. What about it Fox etc.

R

Rob Brownfield

I like the cradle idea the yanks use for Muskies, sharks..in fact, anything with teeth.!!

C

Chris Bishop

I'm going to sell that one I've got - it's really heavy and you look like a right dork walking round with it.

Someone asked me if I was the stray dog man from the council the other week.

C

Chris Bishop

Here, going back to the original thing what about making sure you've got trace blades/side cutters handy.

If a flying hook catches the net, cut the wire before the fish rolls and damages itself, then lift it out.

Once you'vce unhooked it you can worry about the net. Cut the points off the treble and they usually come out ok.

M

mike smith

These round nets, are they just normal nets, or those folding jobbies?

Will take a look though, the one I use is a 42" triangle, and it has folded on me before.

D

Dave O'L

Mike I don't know what net the lads are refering to but if anyone is not familiar with the Gye net - the net is permenently open & slides up the handle. A strap is attatched to go over your back for walking about. They can't collapse in normal use & mine was strong enough to only bend slightly when I slipped off my boat seat & sat on it.

C

Carl Harrison

I have seen a net made by someone called CALIBER. Oval about 36 inch with wide meah and a large diameter extending handle. It was ideal for walking around with. I believe that CALIBER sold out. Can anyone inform me if the nets are still made and if so where can I get one.

Carl

A

Andy Doughty

I use a triangular net and get on fine with it. I accept that hooks will get caught in the net and either cut the hooks or the net. I go through a net a year doing this, but that just gives me an excuse to buy more fishing tackle! Also hand landing zander at night would be a nightmare and you would be asking for trebles in your hand.

Can anybody recomend a triangular net with large FreeFlow type mesh on the sides and a smaller mesh on the bottom?

C

Carl Harrison

I have handled a Harris Huntsman net and while shape is OK the net is a bit stiff and the handle too short. Thanks anyway.

G

Gary Knowles

Carl et all,

I'm not sure if this is still the case but I was told that there was in inherent flaw with the design of the Calibre pike nets in that the mesh was so widely spaced and of tough material it was damaging pike very badly by slicing through any fins that came into contact with it, and the net was subsequently withdrawn.

Apparently this is also a real danger with some other wide spaced mesh nets. I'm still not 100% sure if this is true but just in case I always use a finely meshed one to be safe.

As someone said previously its much better to buy a pair of mini bolt croppers from B&Q for around a fiver and crop your trebles both in the fishes mouth and in the mesh whilst the pike is still in the net. This way the lure/hook/pike just falls away from the net, a real bonus when boat fishing. Remember, trebles hooks are cheap (about 30-40p each) big pike are not !!!!

Cheers

Gary

C

Chris Bishop

I've definitely got reservations about this "fish safe" mesh. It's tough - to stop hooks catching in it - but it's also rough as old boots.

C

Carl Harrison

Dave Pugh has a nice article which mentions net meshes (see http://www.lurefishinguk.com/tactics/handling2.htm ). He reckons that 20mm is the best size of mesh when using lures. The Caliber net I saw was very soft and about 30mm mesh size.
Harris Huntsman nets are also 30mm and although they are very rough when new I am told that a good soaking in fabric conditioner does them a world of good.

M

mike smith

I dont like the idea of wide mesh, that's why knotted mesh was banned and I had to buy a new keepnet when I was 12.

I'm also not taken with the idea of handing out, I have had a hook in me plus angry 15lb fish and it makes you eyes water.

No. 3, I don't think trying to snip hooks out with the point flying any which way is good to be suggesting. You would have to be wearing glasses to protect your eyes.

So far, I think I will stay with my shredded netting.