float adapters

M

Michael Cummins

Hi guys I'm new to this fishing lark but I have heard of some people using a snap swivel I think its called instead of a float adapter for the quick change of waggler floats.
has anyone used this method and does it affect the performance of the float.

keep the advice coming it's very much appreciated by the likes of me.

thanks

P

Paul Clarke

hi Michael , there are various 'styles' of quick-change float adaptors. Some are solid tubing with a hole in the base , some are tubing with a swivel in the base and some are rubber tubing with a very thin connection point at the base . The last two are designed to 'fold' on the strike , thus giving less resistance when hooking into a fish . They don't really affect the floats performance as such although if using a float with the swivel type , you may have to adjust the stated shotting load slightly

M

Michael Cummins

Thanks Paul,
I have seen the tubing type adapters but had never heard of using just a plain swivel, I will give it a go though and see what happens.

John Allen

Reaction score
Hi Michael,don't pay good money for shop bought float adaptors. I purchased 24" of the old fashioned valve rubber for bikes for 50p. Just cut off a short length,and push one end over a small swivel,and the other end onto the float. The rubber is very flexible, and causes no problem, although as Paul says you may have to adjust the shotting load.

M

Michael Cummins

Thanks for the tip John, sounds like good advice

Fred Blake

Reaction score
Where did you get the valve rubber from John? Is it still available at cycle shops?

C

Chris Bishop

Silicone rubber (rig tube) from tackle shops is just as good and doesn't perish.

Fred Blake

Reaction score
Whilst it is certainly true that silicone doesn't perish, it is not so good for holding a float bottom end only; it slips and is easily cut by the line. If a thicker walled silicone tube were available, preferably black and in at least half inch lengths, I'd ask for nothing more. Maybe it is, but none of the shops near me stock it.

Does anyone knows of a supplier?

John Allen

Reaction score
Hi Fred, I picked up the rubber from a local bike shop. The beauty of it is that it doesn't slip like silicone is inclined to do, and I would think that thicker walled rig tube wouldn't be flexible enough. I have been using the same made up lengths for a season now with signs of perishing. Hope ths helps. Tight lines John.

John Allen

Reaction score
Hi Fred, If you can't get any let me know and i'll get some for you and forward it.

Fred Blake

Reaction score
John - that is very kind. I haven't tried my local shops yet but will do so soon; if I draw a blank I'll let you know.