Barbed V Barbless

• Thread starter BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester
  • Start date
B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

After reading Stu's tecnical rig, the subject of barbed or barbless hooks has been touched on.
Could some of you lads, give me some information as to why barbed hooks are safer for the fish than barbless hooks.
I think this bone of contention could be brought up at my club, rather than just accept that barbed hooks are banned on some waters.
The theory is that barbed hooks cause more damage. So what I would like to do is to give my committeee some facts.

Any information would be appreciated, as I could then put forward a decent case.

njb51

Reaction score
my understanding, is that when hooked, the barb keeps the hook in place and prevents the hook finding a new hole as barbless hooks supposedly do. My problem (more of an annoyance) with barbed hooks is getting them out. Usually it's ok but there are some that have been buggers to get out at times.

The rule of barbless hooks only, I can only assume, is to help those that are not so experienced in removing barbed hooks so as not to cause damage to the fish.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

If you know how to remove a hook, then micro barbs cause the fish no harm whatsoever.

Barrie Rickards has led the campaign against barbless hooks and the damage they do to fish. Perhaps it's time for him to do an article listing his reasons.

L

little Stu!

Here Here Ronald........

Baz, its an interesting topic of which no doubt you'll enjoy the many gripes that may arise from this thread. You wanted some facts to support your club with. How about to start with; the biggest fishing club in Europe (RMC Angling as it was, now known as Cemex Angling) there rule number 5 is: No barbless hooks above size 14 to be used on any RMC Angling Fishery.

This in itself was a dramatic position to take with its anglers when the rule was introduced. There fisheries and gravel pits are run by anglers for anglers and fish preservation is paramount.

I for the record agree totally with the above stance and position.

This is not a small club who side with only one preferred species either.

L

little Stu!

"my understanding, is that when hooked, the barb keeps the hook in place and prevents the hook finding a new hole as barbless hooks supposedly do"

Jonny, its not that it prevents the hook finding a new hole, its that the hook and turn and twist and slice the mouth as it kites from left to right etc.

Apreciating that a barbless hook sounds far less barbaric than a barbed hook, you've got to look beyond just the 'grip on the lip' and take into considertion all elements of playing the bigger fish. With regard to taking the hook out then experience has no substitute. Even so I'd rather have a little dificulty from time to time in removing a hook than to slip a hook out through a sliced up lip via a gaping hole created by a barbless hook after being skull dragged round a swim.

R

I've caught all sorts of fish in my life on barbed and barbless hooks and hand on heart, the only proplems I ever had with barbed hooks was in the days before micro-barbs.

Those of you who remember the old Model Perfect hooks of the 60s will know what huge rank barbs they had. We used to file them down as per **** Walker's advice. Sometimes we would squeeze the barbs down with forceps.

I think the penchant for barbless hooks came from match anglers. The average matchman is not going to take the time to remove a hook like say the specimen hunter does.

I have fished waters where barbless hooks are the rule and noticed fish with massive mouth injuries. Organisations and clubs who automatically slap on barbless hook rules need to start using their brains a bit more in my opinion.

Also I carry a little bottle of Kryston Klinik in my bag. A dab of that on the hole left by the hook stops infection.

But you'll not get match anglers to do that!

L

little Stu!

so wot are your thoughts about that rule Ronald?

"No barbless hooks above size 14 to be used on any RMC Angling Fishery."

fair? caters for all?

J

Jeff Woodhouse

I think it's a reasonable rule, Stu.

However, I have no problem using barbless hooks if it's the club's/owner's wish. My kit's full of them now.

I would prefer to use pressed-down barbs though as these, on some hook patterns, leave a nice bump on the shank. This also makes it almost impossible for the hook to mmove with the fish's turns, but is also quite easy to remove.

If it is difficult to remove a hook, allow the fish to settle for a few minutes in the water in the landing net and the muscle will relax. That tip came from Dave (Kryston) Chilton!

R

I think that rule is pretty fair Stu.

The damage done by barbless hooks is mainly to big hard fighting fish using larger hook sizes. Match anglers tend to use smaller hooks than a 14. So the rule is reasonably sound I suppose.

Beecy

Reaction score
why do match anglers always get dragged into this sort of debate ?

Most match men I have ever known or fished with are perfectly capable of looking after a fish.

Its the once a year, fair weather splodgers that do the most damage.

L

little Stu!

Beecy, match anglers have not been dragged into this debate whatsoever. However if a club is managed/run by match anglers as a norm then the ruling of barbless hooks may be made, if on the other hand a club is run by carp anglers then a ruling on barbed hooks may well be made.

If however (like RMC/Cemex) its run by both specimen and match anglers that a rule such as size 14 and above must be barbed with 14 and below barbless.

A sensible point me finks?

R

Beecy,

I think that all types of anglers should be brought into this debate.

Read the article by Barry and let's have your comments.

Beecy

Reaction score
Ron says "The average matchman is not going to take the time to remove a hook like say the specimen hunter does."

that drags match anglers into it in by book Stu

Ron, a good match angler WILL take time to carefully remove a hook, because he knows this is still quicker than having to replace a damaged hook/hooklength

I'll read the article when I get home from work (nosey boss is milling around at the mo)

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Stu has got it spot on where he says a predominantly match type club or committee do not understand the carp/specimen side of hooks.
You lads are giveing me some really good information on this no barbed hooks rule for specimen anglers.
I will do my best to put this document together and to try and get my club to look at the rule again. Otherwise it just becomes one of those ancient rules that will never change.

I also think that most damage is caused by bad playing of the fish which has got nothing to do with barbed hooks.

Remember when we used to see people strike into a carp? Rod up over their heads running backwards, then rod down and to the left, then rod to the right? This is what caused the damage to the carp in the first place.

Beecy

Reaction score
agreed Stu, size matters.

but then you could get silly and talk about wire gauges making more difference than the actual hook size, ie one make/style of hook in a 14 could have a heavier/lighter gauge wire than another make in a 16 ?

L

little Stu!

your right Beecy - it could get silly, its the same with carp hooks; the longshank nailer size 6 is tiny between the tip and the back of the hook where as a standard` esp size 6 is far wider.

The point is that these kind of rules should be adhered to but comon sense should prevail at all times!

With regard to match anglers (of which I was) I felt Rons point was quite valid in that match anglers will swing in, unhook and drop in the net with great speed - I didnt read any negative in Rons point unless I've missed something and Ron was being funny etc! Ron?

R

No I'm not being funny at all Stu, that's why barbless hooks suit match anglers.

Time spent unhooking a fish and not with a bait in the water is of no value to a match angler.

Baz, I would like you to elaborate a little more on what you consider to be the bad playing of a fish.

For myself, I tend to hoik them, give 'em some welly and when they are in the net they are mesmerised. I don't like playing fish for long spells one little bit. I net them the first opportunity I get.