Commercial pools

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
This is turning out to be a very valuable and informative series for both the novice and shall we say the less practiced pool fisherman, excellent Mark.

One thing I would add about buying poles is, never ever buy a pole without first trying it out, first at full length to test how stiff it is(and theres no such beast as a perfectly straight pole), but also with one or two sections taken off. This is to check the balance of the pole, sometimes a slightly heavier one will feel lighter because it is better balanced and the only way to check this is to try it sat down as though fishing, its no use standing up and wafting it about, that tells you nothing.

J

Jeff Woodhouse

Nice one Mark, but another caveat I would add is - don't believe what you read on the pole.

13 metres? I had one, which when it was cut back for the modest bush was only 12.3 metres.

Weighs 1063 grams? Check that and you can sometimes add at least another 100 grams to their figure. More once it's elasticated.

M

Mark Hodson

Both graham and jeff are right about the balance and not believing what you read on the side of a pole.

The best thing to do is try one ready elasticated, the weight of the elastication kit when held out at 13mtrs plus really effects the balance and what seemed like a nice pole unelasticated becomes an average one elasticated.

The other factor is try it under strain with a heavy elastic at full stretch in the shop, again poles can be stiff under no pressure but if you find the top kit bends just a little to much under pressure and the elastic rubs against the side walls you will get a horribly jerky sensation when a fish runs and you lift the pole trying to stop it, inevitably leading to lost fish.

Yacko

Reaction score
Great pictures Mark - they really clarify how to elasticate the pole.
One question I have is in order to budget taking the step to pole fishing, what other bits of kit are essential?
I?m thinking of seat boxes with pole rests, pole rollers etc.
Presumably in order to avoid back strain it may not be possible to skimp on some items.
Regards Yacko

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Plenty more to come on the pole front, Neil. A Shakespeare box with Octoplus legs is good enough for occasional pole fishing.

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

"A Shakespeare box with Octoplus legs is good enough for occasional pole fishing."

Exactly the set-up I use Mark.

Beecy

Reaction score
My advice to anyone buying a first pole is to get the most expensive you can possibly afford, in fact, get one you cant afford !!

let me explain, I'm sure most people have done this, you buy your fist pole for ?100 or so, then after a season you decide you would like a better one so buy another at ?200. Then you decide you would like an even better one so go out and spend another ?300+

So before you know it, you have spent ?600+ on poles, so you would have been better off getting the best one in the first place.

Jimpy

Reaction score
another part in an exellent series
i have heard there is a way to double up on your elastic to try to stop it bottoming out
any help or directions to this appreciated

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Why on earth would you want to do that in this day and age when you have up to 20 elastics if your pole is strong enough to take it. That used to be a ploy when elastics only went up to No. 8 but its no longer relevant in this day and age.

Most matchmen rarely go above a 14 elastic anyway, you can land some big lumps with a 14 elastic and a good pole.

Jimpy

Reaction score
i usually use 6 and 8 but my water has just put in some lumps and wanted to try a belt and braces attempt at least of maybe landing one if it came along
poles good enuff maver reaper 2

thutchinson

Reaction score
hi new 2 pole fishing I have just purchased the middy the works pole and i dont no if the top3 are take apart or telescopic can any 1 hellp me with this
and is the works pole any good