Antiseptic for carp

matt

Reaction score
Ive seen no evidence to convince me it does any good on hook holds.
Iv'e seen carp with infections because of hooks left in mouths and damaged mouths. but none definately from removed hooks.
Ok you could say it doesn't do any harm. But do we know that.
Iv'e no confidence in the liquid preparations I'm sure they're washed away in seconds. Gel preparations may be more effective particularly on open sores on the main body of the fish.
My personal view is leave well alone, we're interfeering in a healing process in a creature that lives in a medium completely different from ours and trying to treat them with preparations not designed for them or their environment.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

I'l try and get Dave Chilton to comment on this.

R

Unfortunately Matt "whoever you are", your comments don't seem to have any scientific or even practical base to them.

You may be referring to Kryston Klinik which was developed in conjunction with MAFF. It is used by the EA in large quantities for treating damaged fish during restocking programmes.

It is also used by aquaculturists for treating wounds, sores and desease on fish which can cost thousands of pounds. The product is extremely well proven. For hook holds too.

I have carried it for years and would recommend any angler to do the same.

And I have no financial or commercial interests in the company Kryston whatsoever.

P

Phil Heaton

I've often wondered how one application can do any good at all, in human terms the healing process takes weeks even with antiseptics and protective coatings.
I'm sure that fish do not heal any faster or better than us, which would seem to imply we are wasting money in buying these preparations.
Perhaps because we as fishermen care so much about the welfare of our fish we try to respect them too much and go 'over ther top'.

R

Well I don't know Phil.

When I was 29 I got a dirty great 6 inch rusty nail right through my foot - JC style. It happened on a building site in Joburg.

It didn't half hurt. But they sorted me out in hospital and withing 3 days it had healed and I was walking again.

There is no sign of a scar.

A friend of mine I used to fish with was shot with a 9mm bullet right through his thigh. He was fine after a week.

It was all a matter of applying the right anti-septic plus tetanus injections. It's surprising how quick a nasty wound will heal if its a clean one.

matt

Reaction score
Ron "whoever you are" My comments have no scientific base to them. Can you explain to me exactly what you mean by practical base?
I have extensive experience of E.A. re-stocking programmes and never has Kryston Klinic or any other similar antiseptic preparations been used.
Salt baths are sometimes used on fish with fungus infections.
I have not seen any scientific evidence to support its effectiveness. All I have heard is anecdotal evidence or hearsay.

Stories of the effectiveness of antiseptics in human injuries caused by rusty nails or gunshot wounds do not prove its effectiveness on another species that lives in an environment alien to humans.

I have no experience of the methods of aqua culturists.
On What basis can you claim that it is extremely well proven for hook holds?

You obviously have I suspect a blind faith in its effectiveness. I have no problem with this. But I would prefer to see some hard evidence.

R

My name is Clay!!

Come on what's your's, or are you scared to reveal it?

Then I will provide all the evidence you need from a very good source.

Joskin

Reaction score
I have often wonderd about this too and so far have never been convinced that it helps enough to make any difference so I will be watching this thread unfold.

I too have been thinking that it would just be washed away or rubbed off by the fish before it had the time to do any good. If it stings the fish in the way that antisepics sting our flesh it would be rubbed off in moments and possibly cause more damage to the wound by the fish's efforts to rubb the now stinging wound.

Beecy

Reaction score
it wont sting the fish Joskin as they feel no pain, or so it is argued !

matt

Reaction score
Ok Ron if you want to play this childish game my name is Matthew Dent. Did you think I had some sinister reason not to reveal it?

I've obviously touched a raw nerve with you Ron to provoke such a strong response.
I was hoping we could have a thought provoking debate on this subject.

R

Thank you Matthew.

Absolutely no nerve of mine is touched at all. It's just that I do get a little concerned about people who start controversial threads without revealing their identity.

The technical paper I have here will have to be sent to Graham who will put up a link on this thread.

Graham has left for Ireland for a week so this very informative article might have to wait for a week or so. I have had full permission put this article onto FM by it's author - Dave Chilton of Kryston.

R

Thanks Chris. I have the article as a Word Document.

I'll send you a PM

Beecy

Reaction score
im no scientist so forgive me if i talk rubbish, but i would think the issue is not wether an antiseptic designed for humans works on fish or not, I'm sure it will.After all it should work the same way, its just wether or not it will stand up to immediatley being washed away/diluted ?

R

Beecy, bear with us. All your questions will be answered.

C

Chris Bishop

Here you go guys, try here

Wow - it works....!

Ron, give me a call if there's anything in there which shouldn't be...

B

Barry Edney

Looks like Rons delivered the goods. Nice one. I think that answers a few questions.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
If it was in a 'realtree' bottle there would be no doubting it's effectiveness.

:))