St Georges day celebrations

I

Ian Cloke

CLICK HERE to find out if there are any celebrations near you.

Don't forget to raise a glass (or three) to Englands patron saint this Sunday.

Tom (Bream Machine)

Reaction score
Sad to say, that in this "Nation" where even the goverment ignores the fact the Union flag is 400 years old, St.Georges day will a poor event once again. Recently, i have noticed the flag of St. George is only really flown by the football fans, and it is true to say that apart from footie, we have a distinct lack of patriotism in our country. The Irish seem to have the right formula....definitly a sense of national pride there. The Scots(as i am) do little, the Welsh make a good go of things for St. David's day. Probably, half the problem is gradual erosion of our national identity and a notable stance by local councils to frown upon flag flying....just in case it offends outsiders ! Moan over, thankyou.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
on the ian collins show on talk sport this morning,he was chatting away to an mp(sorry dont recall what party he was from)who actually tried to introduce legislation or a motion or whatever they call it for st.georges day to become a bank holiday and may day to be scrapped.
needless to say a labour mp opposed his idea and when it came to a vote the other
labour mp`s kicked it out....that seems the norm for this government!!!!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Tom, one reason why the Scots,Welsh and Irish forged strong national identities is that they had to put up with being oppressed by the English for so long.

We on the other hand have never been oppressed by anyone save in the second world war.It's interesting that it is to the second world war we often turn when we want to point to an example of national unity and self expression.

Tom (Bream Machine)

Reaction score
England- Not oppressed!!!!!Hmmmmmm, William the Conqueror rings a bell....as do the Roman legions who never quite managed to make it North over the border succesfully !
The point is, the English flag, St. George's cross, is better recognised as a symbol of poor football achievement rather than one of real National pride.