Shaun Linsley Rod

• Thread starter Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)
  • Start date
N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I am looking after disposing of the tackle of a good friend's late father.

Pride of place is a 2 Piece 11ft Cane "Carp Perfection" hand built by Shaun Linsley and used only twice I think.

I have tried to put a valuation on it by searching on Google but have had no luck.Would anyone be able to give me a steer?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Nigel,

A Shaun Linsley Barbel Perfection sold last year (March) at Bonhams for ?376.

As the Carp Perfection is not so sought after these days I would think around the ?330 mark would be good price.

As you know I have an interest, so please look around and get other estimates as appropriate.

Fred Blake

Reaction score
It depends on condition but, assuming very good to near mint, I would hazard a guess at around ?350. They do come up on ebay occasionally.

At the and of the day it's true value is what someone is prepared to pay for it. For insurance purposes it must be valued at what it would cost to replace, which is not necessarily the same thing; unfortunately there are a lot of dealers who confuse one with the other.

J

Jeff Woodhouse (AKA Cheeky Monkey, Spud, Jay Dubya

"As you know I have an interest,"

A lot to pay for more pea sticks, Peter.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Thanks Guys.

If I had the cash I'd buy it myself!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Yes I've been wondering about that picture. Are they bringing "Allo' Allo'" back?

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Nigel,whatever you do try fishing with it for a day before you sell it. Shaun Linsley doesn't make rods anymore (at least under his own banner)which is a great pity because they are little masterpieces of craftsmanship, beautifully finished, and once you get used to the feel( heavier obviously than a carbon wand) they are a joy to fish with. A good carp will never feel as good as it does with split cane. But then I am biased and an angling romantic. Probably why I find myself using a bloody pole most weeks!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"Nigel,whatever you do try fishing with it for a day before you sell it."

HUH?

Don't you dare use "my" rod Mr Connor ;-)

Well, at least not until I've had a waggle with it.

Mr. Bishop, t'would appear that you are doing some practical research here for 'another bloody tangle' :)

Okay, I'm only joking as Nigel and Peter hopefully know.

Seriously though, split cane rods are an absolute joy to use, especially on a river.

I have fair few cane rods including an Avon MkIV and a Barder Merlin (that was the model that Chris Yates used in PfA in the episode with the young angler on the Avon) and once coupled to a good old centrepin reel can take you back dozens of years in your angling experiences.

The rod I enjoy using the most is my Wallis Wizard (the older one with the gold oval Allcock's label) this was really the original "Avon" Rod. The butt is of whole tonkin cane and the middle and top sections are made from real split cane. The action is superb and although a touch 'heavy' by modern standards, it is still a great rod in use.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Fortunately, there is another Rod in the collection, a 10ft Scottie by Sharps, which is very well used, which I am going to head down to the canal with this evening to winkle out a carp or two.Hopefully my first fish on cane.I may couple it with an original speedia and a prcupine quill.All I need is a par boiled potato but Trigga pellets will have to do!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"but Trigga pellets will have to do!"

Philistine!

Go with the Speedia and the quill float and enjoy some good old fashioned fishing - you never know you may never return to the "dark" side ;-)

Fred Blake

Reaction score
Er - I believe the rod Chris Yates used in the 'Childhood Dreams' episode, with young Peter Hugo, was actually a Chapman Hunter.

Anyway, give the wooden stick a go; you may even find you enjoy it. Cane might not be the lightest material but, unless you are of a particularly feeble physique, they are not that heavy, and in situations where the rod will be in a rest much of the time it doesn't matter anyway.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Peter, when you've had as many tangles as I have using split cane, tubular steel no less, fibreglass and carbon, practical research is not required! Glad we are in one mind, of course he should try it. As my missus says they is many a good tune played on an old piano!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Nothing these evening.Will try again this morning.

J

Jeff Spiller

I love the passion that is spoken about these tool's.

I did not grow up on them, but can understant simplicity of using them.

I had the pleasure of both Nigel and Peter lending me a center pin ( Nigel you lent it to Steve) and they make perfect sence.

Before this winter I need to find a pin to suit, Peter and Nigel, I hope you don't mind but I will be calling, your passion shine's and I've not even held a cane rod.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Jeff,

Anytime you can make it I'd be only too happy to let you experience the wonderful world of split cane rods and centrepin reels.

Let me know when you might be free and we'll try to fix a time and date that would be convenient for us both.

Tell you what, if you have to bring your 'bruv' that'd be okay too.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Shaun,

I am glad you are still rod-building.The rod was a fine piece of work and has gone to a good home.

Jeff,

Any time, although there are a plenty on the site with a good knowledge of the pin.

J

Jeff Spiller

Thank's Peter, I'll have a chat with Steve, see if we can't come up with a date or two.

Cheer's Nigel