Farmoor reservoir.

Jim Pullin 2

Reaction score
Hi guys. As a relative newcomer to the art of the fly I am about to tackle my nearest water, Farmoor reservoir in Oxfordshire. What do I need to know? and are there any smaller, prettier waters in Oxfordshire that I can fish on a dayticket? I can't seem to find any. I know about Lechlade, but that seems fairly expensive for a noddy like myself. Thanks in advance.

oxfordrich

Reaction score
Jim, Salford trout lakes near Chipping Norton. Two delightful small lakes, well stocked normally easy to catch at this time of year.

oxfordrich

Reaction score
Jim, pity no-one has replied yet, I'm sure someone out there knows how to tackle the water. I've only fished it once and I blanked (like most on there on the day) but I did find the wardens very helpful.

stuart clough

Reaction score
Can't help with the tactics, but as above I expect the wardens will be very helpful. I understand it is a very good place to learn. Either drop in to the lodge if its close enough or give them a call. Let us know how you get on.

Mick Padden

Reaction score
only fished it once myself about 3 weeks ago
,weather was bright, cold, and a little breezy
having never fished there before was a bit lost at first but met a chap by the boats who had fished it for 15 years(result),he told us a few areas to try but warned us it was going to be tough. As we got out of the car noticed a few buzzers on the windscreen and by lunchtime they were coming off the water in clouds just like smoke it was quite a sight to see(that put the buzzer fishing out) anyway managed to catch a couple on a DI 5 12 foot leader black boobie on the point and a couple of orange blobs on the droppers(one on the booby one on the blob).spoke to the warden on the way out he said water temp was half what it was this time last year so that explained the lack of surface activitie. enjoyed the day and will be going back when the water warms up a bit.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Farmoor is a typical concrete bowl. Early season when the water is cold, boobies are probably the best method.

My old mate Peter Stone used to fish it a lot, the water being close the where he lived. When the water warms up a bit, use a team of buzzers with a bung, chuck them out and watch the bung for bites.

You also just might catch a very big bream as Peter did one day. In fact it was the biggest bream he ever caught and was well into double figures.

He stuffed it.

Jim Pullin 2

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I remember Peter Stone writing about his big bream, Ron. I think he also said that he had talked to someone who claimed to have caught a "ten pound carp" from the water but claimed it didn't fight much. Peter concluded that it was probably a massive chub. As you know, quite a few stillwaters around here do contain very big chub that very rarely get caught. Roy Parsons over at the Richworth Linear complex told me that he was walking round the pits with Peter and he spotted what he thought were a couple of low double figure carp cruising through the surface layers. "Look again." said Peter. Roy looked. They were in fact massive chub.

So, who knows what Farmoor will yield. I'll probably wait a few weeks 'til the water warms up. And I might pass the time trying to devise a fly that imitates cheesepaste...

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

I wouldn't worry about cheesepaste Jim.

Use a bloodworm imitation on the point and a couple of midge pupa (buzzers) on the droppers. Chironomids are probably the most eaten insect by any of our freshwater fish.

Also try damsel fly imitations when the water warms up a bit. I caught a roach of well over the pound on a damsel a year or so ago.

spike Worsley

Reaction score
Hi Jim - all that fishy talk - I knew it was you. Yer old room mate Spike here! hahaha.

Bill Heaton

Reaction score
Is it only fly fishing on Farmoor or can you coarse fish as well? I am a coarse fisherman who will be visiting this area next year and need to know if I can coarse fish. Also , does anyone know how much a day ticket is ?

captain carrott

Reaction score
there's bream in that there bowl. might be a record if you could work out how to catch em reliably on fly.

i'd suggest fry immitation patterns if you wanted to try it.

fished in the deep bits

W

Wolfman Woody

My mate Steve caught a large bream at Farmoor, a 20 lber they reckoned.

Peter Stone went to net it for him and ...................... knocked it off.

/forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif

I don't think Peter ever wrote about it. I think it was around 1998/9 when that happened and it was Peter who reckoned it was a 20 lber and a record, of course.

BTW, Whatever happened to Jim? Did he get washed downstream in the floods of 07? He hasn't turned up in our weirpool yet.

/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Piers Hugh Smith

Reaction score
I've been speaking to the people at farmoor and they say that the blob or boobie works quite well. Alkso try the far left bank.

Hope this helps

W

Wolfman Woody

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Woody the Moaning Marlow Meldrew wrote (see</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>BTW, Whatever happened to Jim? Did he get washed downstream in the floods of 07? He hasn't turned up in our weirpool yet.</blockquote>

I was worried about Jim having not seen him for a while, but then I watched the Buzzcocks last night and now I know he's OK. Hope you are well Jim, if you ever read this.

Thanks for reviving it Andy, even though I can't answer your question.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
<blockquote class=quoteheader>andy reynolds wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>hi can any one tell how well farmore fishes in winter ?</blockquote>

Until very recently it was fishing its nuts off as it has done all year.I've not been for a few weeks but I understand both F1 and F2 have continued to fish well.I dont fish it in winter but I know people who do and they most certainly wouldn't go if it didn't fish.

have a look at the reports here...and wrap up well if you go its pretty exposed.

http://www.farmoor-reservoir.com/

Skippy